Revenge of the small mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspeck

Staff member
Here is how my day started ... revenge of the small mouth ...

Attachments

• photo331817.jpg
    photo331817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OMG, That hurts me just looking at it. It's time like that you wish you were fishing with barb-less hooks. I can't think of any possible way that isn't going to sting like a sob removing it! :eek: :faint2:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve done the same thing before. It actually wasn’t painful. I know ways you can remove them yourself but if you screw up you take out a large piece of meat. When I did that I fished for a couple more hours and then drove myself home and put my fishing gear away and then to the Emergency room. The ER doc I saw told me he had never removed a fish hook before . I didn’t watch but he numbed the area and had the hook out in a short time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That the exact reason why I no longer use treble hooks.

Swap of the hooks for a good quality single hook before a new lure hits the water.

alldodge

Staff member
I think aspeck wiped out his buck knife, made a slice to the barb, and pulled it out. Grabbed some electrical tape, wrapped it up and went for some pay back with the small mouth

aspeck

Staff member
The monofilament trick didn’t work, it was close to the knuckle and I had worked hard sharpening those hooks, so I didn’t want to cut them ... thought about slicing the skin and taping it up afterwards, but didn’t want to mess up the tendons, so it was a trip to the ER, a tetanus shot, a numb finger, and the doc yanked and twisted and twisted and yanked till it was out. Laughed and said, “ That small mouth set the hook pretty good ... you weren’t getting away!”

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The monofilament trick didn’t work, it was close to the knuckle and I had worked hard sharpening those hooks, so I didn’t want to cut them ... thought about slicing the skin and taping it up afterwards, but didn’t want to mess up the tendons, so it was a trip to the ER, a tetanus shot, a numb finger, and the doc yanked and twisted and twisted and yanked till it was out. Laughed and said, “ That small mouth set the hook pretty good ... you weren’t getting away!”

Hahaha! :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Glad you got it taken care of properly. The shot was a great idea. I know I haven't had one, but I guess we all should.

I actually did that same thing to someone else one time. I invited a guy to go fishing with me. When I arrived at his house to pick him up early one morning, his entire family of four were waiting with rods and reels to get picked up. Disappointed but not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, the five of us went fishing. :cold:

Can we say boat over-loaded? Of course we can! A mere 12' Feathercraft "V" style aluminum boat with three adults and two little kids on a small lake fishing. They were fishing for anything that bites. I was fishing for bass. :)

I was casting a jelly worm with a 1/0 True-Turn hook. As we were going down the banks I liked this one point and was casting away to reach it. The more we floated a-way, the harder I casted. One cast I tried the rod never came forward. I looked around and the guy's wife had a 6" Mann's blueberry jelly worm stuck to her head with the 1/0 True-Turn hook in-bedded into her forehead. I paused for a moment and all I could think of at the time was; "If you wanted a jelly worm, you could of asked for one" ... True story, every word! I can honestly say, the True-Turn hooks worked very well though! :facepalm: :D

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ouch, that's a good one in a bad spot lol. when they cant be pushed through, I've had luck with slipping a large bore needle down the shank to catch the barb, once the barb is captured in the needle the whole thing can be worked back with much less tearing. still would have had to work it back a bit here to get it from the looks of it...………

glad I fish barbless lol

bassman284

Commander
ouch, that's a good one in a bad spot lol. when they cant be pushed through, I've had luck with slipping a large bore needle down the shank to catch the barb, once the barb is captured in the needle the whole thing can be worked back with much less tearing. still would have had to work it back a bit here to get it from the looks of it...………

glad I fish barbless lol

:Yeah, pushing it through sounds like a plan until you can't do it. About 25 years ago I had a little 10" largemouth give a flip and planted one of the rear hooks of a 1/4 oz Fat Rap near the end of my left index finger tight against the bone. For some reason I'd taken the side cutter out of my tackle box so I couldn't even cut it off. Went to the ER and the doc did the job with the large bore needle. Very slick.

MRS

Commander
“ That small mouth set the hook pretty good ... you weren’t getting away!”

That doc had to be a fisherman sounds like you got the right one.;)
I took a friend fishing one time that did not fish a lot and we were casting lures in a little tinney and he keep casting and not looking back where the lure was. I told him watch where your'e lure is before you cast he said I know what I'm doing next cast it hit my hand and bingo he kept pulling and wondered why it would not go forward told him you got me. Lucky I could push it trough and cut the barb off. He keep saying you need to go to the hospital I said no we are catching fish he was sick the rest of the day and did watch where he was casting after that,

ezbtr

Commander
Happened to me once 25 yrs ago, have pinched barbs since, had a buddy snip it w/ dykes, and push it through, finished out the day after

Status
Not open for further replies.