Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Decker,

Thanks for stopping by. It is a great product and cuts time quickly. Starts bubbling up in less than 5 minutes. Biggest task is cleaning up the haze. Any suggestions?

I would also recommend applying this product and using a pressure washer if you can. After reviewing Watermann 's 79 SS resto, I had an opportunity to do that in the fall but missed it. Too cold here now for water. 😂

I wanted to work last night but the body said rest was not an option but a necessity. So back at it I go today....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The green haze, more stripper and a 3M scrub pad with a handle is what I used.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Just got read through your thread and looks like a great project!!! Will tag along on this one. I know its funny to say, but wish I had found a boat with rivets that were still intact.... LOL As you suspected, original owner used her in salt, live in Houston so Gulf Of Mexico is where a lot of people fish. He didn't take good care of the boat. Just some simple maintenance, washing her down with freshwater really good, after each outing would have done wonders, but alas she turned into my project boat.

I know its a little late, but if you have access to an angle grinder and a stainless steel wire wheel, it will make quick work of the paint. I know some people don't like using grinders because of the heat build up, but if you don't spend time in one spot for a long time then you are fine. Just hit a spot move on and then come back if it needs it.

On your paint choice, are you going to use a hardener?

Decker83

Commander
I used a variable speed buffer and a 4" stainless steel wire brush.. I put the stripper on and set the buffer on the lowest speed so it wouldn't fly everywhere.. If you or going to leave the hull naked, this may not be the best way..

100_3355.jpg

Attachments

• 100_3374.jpg
    100_3374.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann I'll have to look into them. I did make more progress last night and started replacing rivets. I'm about 1/2 way done depending on how long I stand and look at it. 🤔

20180129_203656.jpg

Decker83 that looks like a good idea. At this point think I'll be covering everything in paint so..

SHSU yeah I didn't get it yet but I definitely will be using a hardener. I believe I can source it locally. As I understand it, that is the trickiest part making sure the mix is accurate. Ikm going with the roll and tip method. I don't have a compressor or a paint shooter. I might shop them. Everyone I talk to says they'd spray if they had to do it again.

I really like the way your seat supports are coming out and hopefully I can blast through paint and get her flipped to get interior going. I'm planning Kiwi deck over 3/4 ply for deck. I'm not 100% convinced away from vinyl. I just want something that is durable and protective of the wood underneath and looks decent.

Did get more supplies in yesterday. Got a Hook5 graph for the bow (trolling motor adapter will be here today), got my Helmsman Spar for deck, and 8# of Coat it for the seams inside. Need to get some JB for the transom hole filling. I think I'm going to paint the inside skin too for an extra layer of protection.

I'm a firm believer once you see the parts piling up it's easier to move through the work. It's a definite motivating factor and helps firm the imagination for what and how you want to build. Sorry for the book. I usually hit iboats once a day. Gonna make it worth it.🤣

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Can't agree more on spraying if you have the option. The "paint" I choose for mine I couldn't spray so didn't have that option for this project. Will see how well it holds up. If you have the money to buy a true entry level HVLP it is worth it. I started with a Harbor Freight Special and a compressor. You can get descent results and it is quick; however, the over spray is a killer. For this kind of project need to make sure you have everything covered you don't want sprayed (I mean everything, including yourself). After years of trying the cheap route, I finally decided to get a descent starter. I got the earlex 5500 and was I blown away with the difference. Don't have to worry to much about over-spray and get great results. For me it was well worth the money as I know I will use it on many of my other projects, but if you only plan on painting the hull, then it might be to expensive for a one time deal.

For the hardener ratio get some 5ml syringes off of Amazon. They are cheap for a lot of 10 off A and you can get exact measurements. Plus, when it comes time to add the Coat It, you can use the syringe to lay down a nice bead along the top of the rivet seam.

Don't have any experience with the Kiwi deck and have seen where people have just used sand in Rustoleum or other versions of traction. Personally I am gong with the Nautolex vinyl and for the price they look comparable (If you stick to their Gallon covers 80 Sq ft). Just have to figure which one you want.

Last edited:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
2nd coat of stripper, brush and paper towel cleanup working very well. Going back over Port side and it's cleaning up very well. I'm seeing a lot of freckles. You guys got some clean boats!! Especially BWR1953

I'll upload a pic when I get more respectable progress 🤣

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
2nd coat of stripper, brush and paper towel cleanup working very well. Going back over Port side and it's cleaning up very well. I'm seeing a lot of freckles. You guys got some clean boats!! Especially BWR1953

I'll upload a pic when I get more respectable progress 🤣
Haha! Yeah, mine came out looking like a Cylon from the '80s. :lol:
Cylon.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Well came out decent. I still have to add the blue stripe on sides. Has a little texture but I think it looks cool. I am pleased and it's a 200% improvement from when I bought it. The fish will not care what color or how shiny 😂😂

20180206_065328.jpg

Went with Watermann method of 2 hours between coats but may have fallen asleep between primer and top coats.

materials used: Rusto SE primer, Rusto pro primer white and Rusto white gloss with Majic hardener and thinned down 15% as per mfg specs... frog tape for masking

Tomorrow hope to mask out to add the stripe from 1st faux strake up to gunnel. Then maybe paint Thursday or this weekend. It's quick work, just messy.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Oh yeah, forgot to add.. I didn't use roll/tip. I got an electric sprayer and it worked well. Just messy. Got a little distracted yesterday prior to starting paint...

Got my first rack buck on trail cam. Hope to see his maturation next fall. Beautiful creature

00000058.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Looks great! Sounds like all went well. :)

Nice looking buck too. :encouragement:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks BWR1953. Still got to put my accent stripe on but I'm pleased. Just have to work harder this year keeping river scum off sides. #threemileislandknowsnobounds

Watermann

Lookin good, electric sprayer was a gutsy move, yeah it's a long sticky day for sure. :lol:

I use 303 Quick Wax on my boats and only have to hose the scum line off.

That buck looks like he was posing for the pic, wow!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann I saw the electric gun for a good deal and decided it was worth the risk. Gotta learn some how I guess. Now I have a boat worth waxing 😁

It is my first trail camera too. Just a cheap from big box but perfect for scouting small farm I just gained access to this year. Trying to get an idea of frequency and age structure of herd. Seen lots of big doe and 3 different bucks in about a 2 month span.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well came out decent. I still have to add the blue stripe on sides. Has a little texture but I think it looks cool. I am pleased and it's a 200% improvement from when I bought it. The fish will not care what color or how shiny 😂😂

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s17.postimg.org\/qaq1rqzb3\/20180206_065328.jpg"**[/IMG2]

Went with Watermann method of 2 hours between coats but may have fallen asleep between primer and top coats.

materials used: Rusto SE primer, Rusto pro primer white and Rusto white gloss with Majic hardener and thinned down 15% as per mfg specs... frog tape for masking

Tomorrow hope to mask out to add the stripe from 1st faux strake up to gunnel. Then maybe paint Thursday or this weekend. It's quick work, just messy.
Do you have any pix of the primer coat?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
20180205_130725.jpg

here's the self etch

regular primer is just white. Here's where I started 1st coat primer

orca-image-1517876342849.jpg_1517876343005.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the primer pix. How many coats of primer did you use?

A few years ago, when I painted part of the inside of my KF to cover the Gluvit, I used rattle-can self etching primer. I know the goal for SE is to just use a light dusting but that was very tough to do in that case. The stuff came out of the spray can in quite a volume and before I knew it, I had a pretty fair sized coat applied.

I'm getting close to painting my KF now and am being watchful of over-coating the SE primer. It looks like your electric sprayer did pretty well for the dusting.

This is how my stern looked after the first spray of SE primer. Pretty heavy in spite of trying to go light.
bilge painted1.jpg

Watermann

The risk is not getting enough coverage with the SE primer rather than laying down a full coat.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
BWR1953 I could only find the self etch in a can and used about 5 cans on the hull. After 1 coat Of self etch then I used 2 coats of regular primer which took all of 2 quarts. I didn't use nearly as much regular paint as I expected.

I bought 2 gallons of regular white and barely used 3/4 of a gallon. I will probably use more on parts of the interior. Consoles are done but I will probably clean and paint the transom skin white before replacing transom

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
20180207_173553.jpg

20180207_173628.jpg

20180207_174003.jpg

hours away from spraying 2nd color and then taking off the skirt.... can't wait...