retrofitting a kill switch

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys<br /><br />Wondering if adding a kill switch to an old outboard that never had one is really as easy as the guy at the parts counter says, has anyone done it recently and would like to share the experience?<br /><br />My nephew (10 yrs) recently received a hand-me-down 8-10' aluminum fishing boat, complete with a really old 3 hp evinrude outboard, and his Dad won't let him go out alone until we install a lanyard-kill switch (which I think is a great safety idea by the way).<br /><br />I bought a kill switch today and the instructions rely on some specific wire colour codes inside the engine, I'm wondering if I should expect surprises!<br /><br />By the way, sorry to be vague but I don't know the model, year, or serial number and can't check for a couple of weeks (engine is in storage). I do know it's a single cylinder 2 stroke evinrude and its pretty old.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: retrofitting a kill switch

hello repost or ask the mods to move this to johnson evirude problems. you will have to access the primary ign coil wire under the flywheel and bring a lead out. then to the switch usuing the normally open terminals. then to ground. when the lanyard is pulled the circuit closes and the ign stops. I just dont think the old one lung motors had an exposed coil primary wire. you may have to modify the stator plate. but post in the jonnyrude section and lets find out.

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: retrofitting a kill switch

Thanks, I'll move this post if you think that'll get better answers!