Retractable Transom Tie Down Strap size

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to add a new transom strap to my trailer for my Blackfin 212CC which is a 21.5ft center console boat weighting about 3600lbs dry or about 4825lbs fully loaded for a day of fishing.

I am looking at straps online and trying to determine what I need for breaking strength to allow me to be safe going down the road. The ones I have been eying are 2500lbs breaking strength. Would they be sufficient?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
IMHO, the capacity would be OK. The problem I see is the retractable part. That would never be on MY boat (not again, that is). Especially not if in salt water.

Removing the strap and throwing it in the trunk ain't so hard.

SkaterRace

IMHO, the capacity would be OK. The problem I see is the retractable part. That would never be on MY boat (not again, that is). Especially not if in salt water.

Removing the strap and throwing it in the trunk ain't so hard.
I'm in fresh water and I am just trying to make life a bit easier when boating on a busy day. Half the days I go out the launches are nuts so if I can avoid forgetting something all the better. I had factory ones on my previous boat and it was great. I need to replace my current straps so thought for $20 more might as well make life easier. I think the worst part of them is they rust a lot faster than the kind you remove. However for $60 not sure a major deal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am looking to add a new transom strap to my trailer for my Blackfin 212CC which is a 21.5ft center console boat weighting about 3600lbs dry or about 4825lbs fully loaded for a day of fishing.

I am looking at straps online and trying to determine what I need for breaking strength to allow me to be safe going down the road. The ones I have been eying are 2500lbs breaking strength. Would they be sufficient?
What do you consider sufficient?

Keep in mind that transom straps are rated for static loads, not shock.
I broken a #3,200 rated strap just clipping a curve coming out of a parking lot. Made a heck of a noise. Just lucky it didn't hit a car as it flew across the busy intersection

Now using a #16,000 breaking strength (#5,400 working load) ratcheting cargo strap over the gunnel.

SkaterRace

What do you consider sufficient?

Keep in mind that transom straps are rated for static loads, not shock.
I broken a #3,200 rated strap just clipping a curve coming out of a parking lot. Made a heck of a noise. Just lucky it didn't hit a car as it flew across the busy intersection

Now using a #16,000 breaking strength (#5,400 working load) ratcheting cargo strap over the gunnel.
I thought it seemed low however it fit within 1/2 the weight of the boat so was unsure. I have always sided on overkill to an extreme with a lot of stuff and am trying to get reference for what is reasonable and not too overkill.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have always sided on overkill to an extreme with a lot of stuff
Not a bad idea. So, just buy the highest strength available.

Just remember that they age with UV exposure, and keep an eye on the mechanism for corrosion. The mechanism will fail before the strap breaks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I thought it seemed low however it fit within 1/2 the weight of the boat so was unsure. I have always sided on overkill to an extreme with a lot of stuff and am trying to get reference for what is reasonable and not too overkill.
Now if the working load was #2,500 each you'd be in business.

Over the gunwale works for me. The transom tie downs just barely cleared the trim tab planers. What little the boat shifted while towing put a lot of pressure on one Tiedown or the other.

Tried moving the tie downs on the trailer but couldn't find a location where the strap cleared the tab to my satisfaction.

SkaterRace

Now if the working load was #2,500 each you'd be in business.

Over the gunwale works for me. The transom tie downs just barely cleared the trim tab planers. What little the boat shifted while towing put a lot of pressure on one Tiedown or the other.

Tried moving the tie downs on the trailer but couldn't find a location where the strap cleared the tab to my satisfaction.
I found some with that working load, that might be a better option then. I used to have an over the top strap on an old crestliner however I am not sure I could do that with this boat due to both the cover (unless I went under) and the fact the boat is taller than I am sitting on the trailer so impossible to get the strap over easy and since I normally have 5 ish minutes to get out of the way at the ramp adding more time to climb in would suck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I normally have 5 ish minutes to get out of the way at the ramp adding more time to climb in would suck.
Locally, the expectation is that you connect the winch strap and immediately move to the staging area. You would be drawn and quartered for even thinking about prepping for depature on the ramp.

Don't think I've ever seen a boat at the ramp with a cover.
Is it normal to travel with a cover on up there?

Down here, moisture and humidity is a problem. Mold and mildew will start growing overnight if you don't dry everything throughly. Everyone takes the opportunity to give the boat a good "blow dry" on the way home.

SkaterRace

Locally, the expectation is that you connect the winch strap and immediately move to the staging area. You would be drawn and quartered for even thinking about prepping for depature on the ramp.

Don't think I've ever seen a boat at the ramp with a cover.
Is it normal to travel with a cover on up there?

Down here, moisture and humidity is a problem. Mold and mildew will start growing overnight if you don't dry everything throughly. Everyone takes the opportunity to give the boat a good "blow dry" on the way home.
Getting to the ramp i normally have a cover on and leaving almost never do.

Here we normally attach the winch strap and move. The 5 minutes is on a busy day you pretty much have to be out of the staging area since it is so small. Your only other option is so attach your transom straps and drive about a kilometre to a parking lot and finish there. It is a nice ramp but the parking lot is tiny since they made over half of it for small cars to visit the park.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Getting to the ramp i normally have a cover on and leaving almost never do.

Here we normally attach the winch strap and move. The 5 minutes is on a busy day you pretty much have to be out of the staging area since it is so small. Your only other option is so attach your transom straps and drive about a kilometre to a parking lot and finish there. It is a nice ramp but the parking lot is tiny since they made over half of it for small cars to visit the park.
Figures....sometimes local folks in charge have no idea what they are building !! We have lots if ramps in my area, the worst ramps have the biggest parking lots. The ramp I choose to use has the smallest parking lot ! Go figure ! When busy, I have had to motor up the road a ways to find a place to finnish prepping my boat for the ride home. Over time, I have learned short cuts and tricks to make prep quicker. My boat is only a16' so quite easy, but I do everything myself ! I often compare myself to others loading and unloading at the launch. I have often recieved compliments about how quick and organized I am....guess that comes from 60 plus years of boating......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Figures....sometimes local folks in charge have no idea what they are building !! We have lots if ramps in my area, the worst ramps have the biggest parking lots. The ramp I choose to use has the smallest parking lot ! Go figure ! When busy, I have had to motor up the road a ways to find a place to finnish prepping my boat for the ride home.
We're cursed and blessed when it comes to ramps.

With the price and demand of local water front property, public access is one of the most restricted in the country. To make up for it, the State pours tons of money into Public access points.

This is the facility closest to my home.
Shops store, shower facilities, boat and slip rentals, you name it

I don't use it much, typically fish 25 miles south, but it comes in handy for afternoon joy rides and dropping the boat in the water to do trailer work.

$10 bucks unless your have a State Golden Age (62) pass, then it's free

1708984310208.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looks like you have a bunch of ramps to use, people need to learn patience !! A lot bigger than the ramps I use....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like you have a bunch of ramps to use, people need to learn patience !! A lot bigger than the ramps I use....
Patience isn’t in our vocabulary….lol
It’s large, but the volume is incredible. The place is an absolute zoo on weekends. Some of the backup getting in the park entrance on a holiday weekend where monumental.

On a busy weekend they have 4 or 5 park officials managing ramp traffic. Pretty fair but strict. Not shy of helping, not shy in telling you to “step it up” as well

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My usual ramp has docks to allow 4 boats to launch at a time. In the old days it was a zoo on weekends and the parking lot would not accommodate all the cars and trailers.

Then the city put an annual fee on it. The police check regularly and if your trailer does not have the sticker its a $50 fine.

I love it. Now the ramp is hardly used. I have 4 trailers and my annual fee is $260 for all, but it's money well spent.

I use a power winch and a roller trailer. Easy peasy. I'm retrieved in a couple minutes and launch in 30 seconds. I secure the winch and attach the safety chain. THEN, I attach the bow tie down. (if you don't have a bow chain and turnbuckle you are asking for trouble.)

Naturally, then I move to the farthest part of the parking lot and do all the rest at my leisure. Regardless, with all this hardware at the bow, I'm sure I could drive all the way home at reasonable speeds and the boat wouldn't fall off.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Patience isn’t in our vocabulary….lol
It’s large, but the volume is incredible. The place is an absolute zoo on weekends. Some of the backup getting in the park entrance on a holiday weekend where monumental.

On a busy weekend they have 4 or 5 park officials managing ramp traffic. Pretty fair but strict. Not shy of helping, not shy in telling you to “step it up” as well
That isn't all bad !! Closed now, but some years back had a nice set of ramps controled by park rangers. Long lines over a quarter mile but ten ramps....rangers kept thing moving right along. At the end of the parking lot, they created a couple fake docks and a pretend ramp...designed as a practice area to learn backing up !
After you had three turns at backing down your ramp, the ranger would come over and say...last try...if you don't make it this time, pull out and go to practice area!
People learned quickly how to back up or go to the back of the line !! Loved that place but storms filled in the harbor with mud and sand and it hasn't fully opened back up yet...

SkaterRace

We're cursed and blessed when it comes to ramps.

With the price and demand of local water front property, public access is one of the most restricted in the country. To make up for it, the State pours tons of money into Public access points.

This is the facility closest to my home.
Shops store, shower facilities, boat and slip rentals, you name it

I don't use it much, typically fish 25 miles south, but it comes in handy for afternoon joy rides and dropping the boat in the water to do trailer work.

$10 bucks unless your have a State Golden Age (62) pass, then it's free

View attachment 394846
That is amazing, the best we have around here is a concrete ramp that is double wide and we have game wardens there every few hours. There is probably 100-150 boats through in a busy day. There are certain hours that are horrible and of course that is when you want to go out/in.