Restoring the Fiberglass on a SK2000

Night_Basser

Cadet
Hi guys, I have an older Skeeter Sk2000 that the fiberglass has some issues with. The big part is that the Fiberglass has lost it's shine on top and no matter how I wax it, it never stays with the shine. I would Love to bring back to shine because it's got an amazing sparkle in it that looks amazing, but no one ever see's that.

Then it has some spider webbing in the gelcoat from the previous owbner, how do I get that out?

And lastly, the Decals on the boat are getting old and don't look the best, where could I get some new ones? Can I just go to a decal shop and have them made or would that go again Copyright laws?

Thanks
Zachary
Night_Basser

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Restoring the Fiberglass on a SK2000

Welcome to iboats.

Decals form "older" boats are near impossible to get. The normal route is to have them duplicated by a graphics/sign company hopefully local to you. Check the yellow pages ;) As long as you are doing it for yourself and duplicating ....... (and not for profit) you can do it.

Spider webb type cracks can not be repaired to have them match your hull w/o serious major work.

To restore the proper finish there are a few choices but the first should be cleaning with cleanser...... possible wet sanding....... or more. If you are attempting to do this all by hand (w/o a variable speed buffer)) it may not work. There are some old finishes that respond very well and some that don't.

Mark42 might add some wisdom here on that.

Once again welcome.

Night_Basser

Cadet

Okay guys, here are some pictures just so I can get what I'm trying to say about the spider webbing a little clearly.

Here is the boat
P1040751.jpg

And the Spider webbing
P1040752.jpg

P1040753.jpg

And the previous owned backed into something with the boat and did this.
P1040754.jpg

And the transom has been checked but this is starting to happen to the fiberglass, Should I worry?
P1040755.jpg

Thanks guys

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Basser..

Uueruum..you might have some slight problems with those them there stress cracks m8..

The problem with metal flaked clear gel is while it looks really sparkly when in good shape.. it is a royal PITA to fix for a diy ( like twilight zone pain ).

2 choices..you become a professional metal flake applicator VIA trial and error..or you consider fixing the repairs then base coat clear coat with a metallic paint.

I dont see any other options if you want some sparkle ..sorry..

As far as your Transom..Id worry if water can migrate into any wood on your boat.

hope it helps some..

YD.

Last edited: