Restoring Color and Shine to My 1990 Bayliner Cobra

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

My boat's black metal flecked gelcoat is faded and oxidized and I really want it to look good. Recently I purchased Maguire's gelcoat restore set: Oxidation remover, polish, and wax. On the oxidation remover bottle, it claims to remove oxidation, eliminate small scratches, and restore color. So I waited for a warm overcast day and followed all of Maguire's steps carefully, working on one small spot (1 sq ft.). First I washed the boat, rinsed it, and then applied the oxidation remover on a cool dry surface, working it into the gelcoat. I barely noticed a change after this step. Next, I applied the polish and noticed a significant change to the shine. Then I applied the wax and stepped back to see my work. The result was a very shiny and smooth surface, but no change in color and it seemed that I actually revealed many small scratches instead of removing them. I can see my reflection in the spot I worked on and nowhere else on the boat... but the color is not black... it looks like the rest of the boat: faded. When the sun comes out, the metal flecks in the spot I doctored reflect the light but nowhere else on the boat. I know Maguire sells a color restorer but the oxidation bottle indicated that it would take care of that problem. Any suggestions? Any experience with Maguire's gelcoat restoring kit? Thank you all in advance for your time. Best regards,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring Color and Shine to My 1990 Bayliner Cobra

I'm not a PRO but my research led me to this....
http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/AMI_Forum/viewtopic.php?t=171

Might be of some help to you. This topic is discussed all the time here on the forum and to my knowledge there has not been a Quick and Easy All Encompassing solution. Basically once Metalflake oxidizes it's very difficult to restore it back to it's original self.