restoring a Whirlwind

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
Hi First time, so bear with me. I have a 1959/58 14.6'whirlwind molded mahogony runabout.I purchased it in 1960.used it to take my kids water sking and then they grew up and Iused my 14' starcraft to go fishing. now I have grandchrilden so out of the garage it comes.I cannot find any info on the boat. If anyone can would like to know where to find it.M y problem is it has a white bottom and I want to keep it white. Someone recommended EASY POXY.Iuse it in fresh water.. I don't know if the paint on the bottom is antifouling or not.whatever it isit is really good other than trailer rash it is in fair to good shape for 42 years.What would recommend.what could I use to fill in scratches about 1/8" deep that are into the magohony. I am also concerned about using stripper for fear it might get into the lamaniations and loosen them up. The keelalso has gouges and it is magohony. Patch or replace?Can some one make one?Does it have to be magohony?Might be to expensive for a retirement pay. thanking you in advance

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: restoring a Whirlwind

I guess I would suggest a conservative approach unless you are pretty well-versed in wooden boat restoration. Congrats on keeping and preserving your Whirlwind, and I hope you get some additional use out of it.<br /><br />Here in Maryland, there is an interest in restoring Whirlwinds, of course. With some patience, you can find a buyer who will keep it up -- if you decide you don't want to get into it. I don't think I would be too quick to start stripping varnish. Once begun, you are pretty much into it for the long haul. Try varnishing over the marks and see if you can get a reasonable match. Easypoxy is a good choice for the hull. If you have bottom paint, you are faced with sanding it off or just restoring it -- easier to put on a fresh coat (cosmetic if you are using it in fresh water, and trailering it). The recoating will have to be another bottom paint, of course, and the topside paint won't adhere.<br /><br />It sounds like a nice project.