restoring a 1955 Feathercraft

zboot69

Cadet
I have a 1955 Feathercraft penguin that i picked up from a yard sale for $75. Ive had it out on the lake already and its a really nice 2 person fishing boat. For those who are not formila with the Penguin its an aluminum v-hull that ranks in at 11 ft long (good for those swallow tight coves)

The boat is sitting on a 1955-56 gator trailer that for the most part was almost completely original.A good find for about $100of craigslist. The trailer is about 16.5 ft long which gives me some play room if i ever restore a larger Feathercraft. (Which im still looking for)

The motor i have for it right now is a 1955 johnson 5.5hp seahorse (cd-12). It started up for me when i bought it and seems to be in pretty good overall condition besides chipping paint. With a fresh coat of paint and some new decals and it should be a real eye turner on the boat. Well worth the $100 i spent on the motor and the pressurized tank thats needed to run the engine.

For the resoration i was thinking for the boat to do a good polishing of the aluminum to start. The floorboards are junk so im going to replace them. i was thinking polished aluminum diamond plated flooring cut to fit the boat would look really sharp on it. For the seats i was thinking instead of the flat bench seats on it now that i would instead build it up and place on hinges so i could have some custom storage underneaith for the tackle and whatnot. Maybe all done in some nice red oak sealed up right so it last a long time. Was also going to replaceall the other trim boards and where the motor mounts to match the seats.

Im open to any ideas or suggestions that you might think look good or work better for me before i get too involved would be great.

heres a few pictures i got of it so far... unfortinaltely most of the good ones where on a computer that crashed and lost everything.

Attachments

• feathercraft1.jpg
    feathercraft1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • feathercraft.jpg
    feathercraft.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
  • feathercraft2.jpg
    feathercraft2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: restoring a 1955 Feathercraft

That's a double hitched trailer that acts as a tilt bed isn't it? First one I've ever seen in my 47 years, didn't know anything like it was ever made. That is cool! :)
I think I had one like it years ago with the tilt feature removed and didn't know what I had, seems like mine had the brackets for the tilt feature if I remember correctly.

What's the handle looking object at the rear of the trailer for?

max!

zboot69

Cadet
Re: restoring a 1955 Feathercraft

Its a really nice trailer... a real find off craigslist for only $100. I havent found too much on the actual trailer company themself other than they where pretty popular to have a feathercraft boat on them. From what ive gathered the handle in the back is used to help lift the boat up off the rollers to release pressure off them during travel. The whole back is on a hindge and when down im guessing it helps to load up the boat easier. I found a copy of the patent dated back to nov. of 1955. I beleieve this trailer is either 1955 or 56, the 1957 was very close to this trailer without the added tilt feature. the later year trailers had the tilt feature built into the trailer itself other then a added bolt on accessory. Im still in the process of resotring so i actually havent had the chance to test it out yet. Im still looking for more information on it as i go along with the restorations.