Restoring 60's Starcraft aluminum, not sure what model.

kgthekid03

Cadet
Howdy all, my father was about to scrap an aluminum starcraft boat that has been sitting in the yard and I decided to step in. I am new to boat restoration but have been doing fabrication/and repair on jeeps for many years.

I know it is a late 60's Starcraft aluminum boat but that is about it. The aluminum hull has no holes but will need to be completely stripped and repainted. The rest of the boat is in poor poor condition and will have to be redone.

Let me sort out these photos quick and I will get them up...

I basically want to redo all of the woodwork with a nice stain keep a classic look but add some modern touches.

-add a fishing platform to the front of the boat with a swivel fishing chair.
-Fix my trolling motor
-Find a motor for it
-repaint

I started sanding but im going to poke around the forums for a bit see if maybe a chemical stripper will be better for the aluminum. If anybody knows what model boat this is that would be great! I love the old starcraft aluminum boats I think it will make a nice fishing boat for me and my friends.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring 60's Starcraft aluminum, not sure what model.

Welcome to iBoats!
Post of them pics so we can see what ya got!!! Make sure you don't use Pressue Treated wood in your boat. The last link in my signature below has some good info on painting on the cheap. This is some GREAT stripper for aluminum but...A bit pricey.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/paintremovers.html

kgthekid03

Cadet

Boat avatar.gif Here is just a sample I am uploading to an image hosting site more to come soon!

kgthekid03

Cadet

I am going to poke around the forums a bit first so I can form more educated questions and thank you for the welcome!! I made the transom pieces already good thing I didn't use pressure treated. I also started sanding the thing down its just going to take a lot of man hours.

kgthekid03

Cadet

kgthekid03 at 2012-06-06

I can't get my file sizes low enough to properly post the pic as instructed in the forum rules.....
But there is the photo album of the boat on my image shack.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Fellow iBoat member, lakelover used this to stip his boat.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309879&page=19&p=3212792&highlight=stripper#post3212792
It worked really well as you can see.

Yup, that stuff worked great and the price wasn't too bad. I have about half a gallon can left over, I only stripped the bottom, transom and front deck. A little goes a long way, just make sure you wear gloves (I used old gardening gloves) and eye protection.

kgthekid03, you've got your work cut out for you, could look pretty sharp when you are finished.

kgthekid03

Cadet

Thanks for all the help you have given me already this forum is great! I'm going to go get some of that klean strip in the orange container. Going to try to have it stripped down and prepped this weekend... Just not sure if I am going to try to find some ZC or some alternative to that.

I have read alot of both of your threads and you guys do great work! Looking forward to looking around here and such

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also had an unknown Starcraft and had the hull ID (from boat title) and wanted to know the max. hp as the capacity plate was gone. I contacted Starcraft and they emailed me a from with a few questions (transom height, width, length) and requested a couple of photos and within a couple of days they id'ed my boat. For $30 they made a nice metal capacity plate for the boat with max hp, weight capacity and model name. Contact info is below:

Smoker Craft-Starcraft Family of Products
Ph. 574-831-7037 (ask for Pam)
Fax 574-831-7332

P.O. Box 65
68143 Clunette St.
New Paris, IN 46553

kgthekid03

Cadet

Thanks for the info valley!!! I will do that for sure right away. Just an update I got the klean strip and I just about how the boat stripped down this stuff works amazing!!! Thanks for the hints so far... Looking forward to having some pics and updates coming at you fast and furiously.