Restoring 1972 16' ss

I bought this boat 2 years ago and decided to go and restore it this year. Never had aluminum boat before, but I am very excited about the project. Hope for some expert advise here. I have seen some great projects here. Going to take some pictures now, I'll post them soon.:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Restoring 1972 16' ss

Welcome Aboard..
Another SS huh, man you can't swing a cat around here without smacking into a SS..lol
You are in the RIGHT place, this inner sanction of the House of Holy Tin!
When you get pictures posted (photobucket is your friend..)
You will be welcomed into the Cult....errrrr...Club

barato2

Commander

welcome to the insanity. pictures si, we like pictures. so how bad is the wood in your boat?

welcome to the insanity. pictures si, we like pictures. so how bad is the wood in your boat?
Sooooooo bad. PO dropped the starboard side stern on something big dent and leaky. They caulk it and cualked it. i only paid 800 for the boat trailer and 50 horse Johnson. runs pretty good but I don't trust it.

Welcome Aboard..
Another SS huh, man you can't swing a cat around here without smacking into a SS..lol
You are in the RIGHT place, this inner sanction of the House of Holy Tin!
When you get pictures posted (photobucket is your friend..)
You will be welcomed into the Cult....errrrr...Club
Thanks, can't wait to tear into it. Need to check photo bucket. Can't get picture to load.

th_Picture445.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/Brian9871/?action=view?t=Picture445.jpg]

[IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/Brian9871/th_Picture445.jpg

This would have worked if you take the URL out and just have the image codes like address blah blah blah[img]
You can copy and paste straight from photobucket.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like she'll make for a great fishing rig some day, welcome:D

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like she'll make for a great fishing rig some day, welcome:D

Agreed. That will be nice to cast from.

Is that the image where the damage is and they caulked it at the stern? It looks like it shouldn't be to bad to fix. I can't see much but it may pull tight with some bracing and rivets, or get it welded and add internal bracing.

That's the great thing about aluminum fixes like that aren't to bad and at 800 bucks you're in for a sweet boat project that doesn't look bad on the budget end.

barato2

Commander

one caveat about welding around seams on a tinnie that i learned the hard way: the pliobond or whatever the mfgr uses to seal at the seam tends to vaporize and contaminate the weld. don't think i'd weld that given where it is for that reason, totally aside from the issue of stress cracking later.

i'd start on that one by trying to get corner back into shape as best you can with a big dead blow hammer and a hunk of 2x4 or 4x4 made into a giant "drift". you'll probably have to pull splashwell and transom to do this. once you get it back as close as possible to correct contour, wire brush to down clean metal and remove all old caulk. slather gluvit or coat-it into the seam and around all rivets and on the entitre area and the dog and.....oops, got carried away there. i strongly suspect this will fix the leakage.

then you can look at whether you need to brace the area any. i kinda suspect not, altho it certainly never hurts. here's a thought: since gluvit is essentially an epoxy resin and sets up accordingly, what about using some glass cloth laid in with the gluvit, and maybe an extra coat or 2 of plain epoxy resin? wet it out properly and use fine mesh cloth and you should be able to get it to form into the corner nicely and even pretty tight on the rivets. they literally use this process to build entire boats from plywood, so i reckon it will work to strengthen a repair.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welome to the Starmada..keep the pictures coming...anywhere around Minneapolis/St. Paul MN area??:D

Unusual spot light ..never seen one like it...

I do believe so. Need to find some parts. windshield. Power tilt and trim. I'm going to make the console out wood I think.

That is correct. I've never worked with aluminum before. It will be an experience for sure. Hope to get some advice from the pros here.

Thanks sounds good. a question though. What is a drift? Could I use bedliner to spray the inside after the repairs have been made?

Nope, West Michigan. I'll keep snapping away. Yeah I thought that spot was cool, the light switch slowly turns off after you let it go. Can't accidentally leave it on.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool boat,looking forward to following along with your rebuild

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the "Starmada". I love the SS for a fishing platfrom. Head up the St. Joe for some steelhead with that baby.

Remember we're here for you, and yes (collectively) we know everything about Starcraft tinnies.:cool:

Don

barato2

Commander

by "drift", i just meant sort of a punch or extension so you can transfer your hammer blows to that hard-to-get-at-with-hammer area. nothing fancy, southern engineerering at its best. i think i'd actually use oak as pine would splinter apart before to you got much movement out of the aluminum.

gluvit is a specialized resin designed for exactly this type of task. bedliner won't replace it, nor will tuffcoat or durabak. it wicks into even very small gaps to seal em up and supposedly has enough flexibility to not crack as alum boat flexes. i have yet to read any less than 100% positive comments about the stuff from anyone on here.

big problem with bedliner is fixing any leaks later; it's a bear to dig through thAT goo to get at the hull, and it makes it really hard to tell where a leak is coming from. for a hull like yours, where you have a pretty good chance of needing to deal with leaks later, i wouldn't coat the inside of hull with anything that isn't easy to remove. start with the filling it with water test to see where all your leaks are, and have an indelible pen ready to mark em

Thanks for the advice, gluvit it is then. Any site better than the other to get it from? I think I'll need several drifts of different shapes and sizes for this baby!!! I sure am glad to have found this site, to keep me on the right path.