Restored Boats Worth?

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking about picking up a project boat/motor/trailer to restore as a side project. A slick run about or a fishing boat maybe.

At any rate, seeing as I already have a nice fishing boat and a nice pontoon I was wondering if there's any real worth to restoring an older 70's-80's boat and selling it? There has to be a certain limit to what a boat that age, even in mint condition, is worth. Otherwise a buyer would probably just buy a newer model.

I'd love to have a THIRD boat but I don't think the wife would allow it. What are your thoughts and experiences?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Restored Boats Worth?

It has gotta be a boat that you truly love, and at that unless it's an ultra classic rare collectable boat...It really wont appreciate much.

If you find a decent project really cheap, that diamond in the rough and doesnt need a lot of $$..then you may make some profit...

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has gotta be a boat that you truly love, and at that unless it's an ultra classic rare collectable boat...It really wont appreciate much.

If you find a decent project really cheap, that diamond in the rough and doesnt need a lot of $$..then you may make some profit...

That's pretty much what I was thinking... It would be really fun to find a 60's or 70's boat and do an era-typical restore. Gotta find one of those really cool old merc's with the giant oval look to them.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That's pretty much what I was thinking... It would be really fun to find a 60's or 70's boat and do an era-typical restore. Gotta find one of those really cool old merc's with the giant oval look to them.

yep the Merc 115hp Tower of Power!

freddyray21

Commander

agreed. Unless it is a real classic and there weren't many of those in the 70's you will not get out of it what you have into it. It has to be done for love.

erikgreen

Captain

Right.

It can either be a classic boat or one with a history.

I'm about to buy an older boat, early 60s, that was one of (perhaps the) first model of jet boat ever made. That may help it sell for a bit if I restore it, since it has the combination of being a vintage boat (that'll be in great shape) and also the "fun" of being a jet boat.

Other similar models have sold for a ton of money because of their history. One model sold for $15k because it was one of only 6 ever made, and another one sold for $60 (sixty) thousand because it was documented as the first jet boat on lake tahoe.

Another thing to think about is the boats being show boats. Once a restored or vintage boat is polished to show quality and taken to a boat show, you have documentation and pics that not only help it sell but raise the price.

It's not uncommon for show winners to get top dollar... for example, a classic mahogany runabout that would sell for $30k after restore could fetch $50k or more with an award or two attached to it. There are collectors of certain types of well restored show quality boats that enjoy owning the boats, not restoring them. Kinda like Jay Leno showing a car at a show, for him the enjoyment is in owning the car and competing, paying a team of detailers to do a last minute polish of the thing before judging.

For the most part, the boats you see restored here aren't classic or vintage, they're just good quality boats from years past. A lot of people don't seem to like the newer boat models for one reason or another.

Then there's the cost of getting a boat that's exactly what you want. We exaggerate here a lot about not saving money on these restores, but I at least do. I can get a boat that's exactly the way I want for a tiny fraction of the price of a new boat. Of course, I can't make my investment back by selling it later, but I'm not buying it as an investment.

Like you say, the cool factor is there.

Inboard boats from the 60s or 70s are going to be the easiest to restore because the drive gear is pretty standard or has an easy replacement in modern gear. Outboards are next because even though older motors can be hard to get parts for, you can usually dig something out. Plus as a bonus you can replace it later easily if you want something more modern. I/O drives are cheapest to buy usually, but older than a certain age and you will run into issues getting parts (even at high prices), especially for OMC drives.

Final note: Restore a boat if you like working on boats, not if you just want to own a cool older boat. It's a lot of work, and those of us that do restore work would happily sell you an old project that's done so we can get a new project :)

Erik