Restoration of a 1978 Starcraft Mariner 22'

gardug0213

Cadet
I am beginning a restoration/rebuild of a 21' Starcraft Mariner [1978]. This is my first boat project. I have gained a lot of information from this site already. I look forward to acquiring some knowledge from those who know a bit more about boats and aluminum boat restoration. The number of iboat restoration threads that stop dead kind of concern me!

It looks like the deck has been replaced before, and the transom is shot. The PO removed the bow decking and left me without a template. The motor seems quite undersized - Johnson 70 HP [1997].

**Edit: This is a Starcraft Mariner 210 hull not a 220

Attachments

• Brochure.mariner2.jpg
    Brochure.mariner2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0184.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Brochure.mariner1.jpg
    Brochure.mariner1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 3

gardug0213

Cadet
Re: Restoration of a 1978 Starcraft Mariner 22'

Outboard stand built

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

At least the foam was already removed, That will save you a bunch of work,.....I hope you have plans for new flotation foam,..

A 70 seams way too small on that boat, What is it rated for??,..

gardug0213

Cadet

The Mariner is rated for 150 HP - I am not sure what kind of performance a 70 HP would give me on this boat. I am sure that I will be in need of an upgrade. I got lucky on the below deck foam - the PO must have removed it when the deck was replaced. Yes, I do plan on installing foam...most likely rigid sheet foam cut to fit.

Attachments

• IMAG0424.jpg
    IMAG0424.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's going to be a sweet boat when you get finished!!!

I really don't understand what people are thinking when they remove the floatation from a boat and don't replace it, it's a foolhardy move IMO.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Tin Drydock. She's gonna be a nice one, gardug. With a larger motor, a real good big water boat.

Hey Jig - Maybe the PO saw one of our foam debates, got confused and decided it's not needed. :eek:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A late model 150 from the early 90's would be my choice,..

Then you'll have one that was rated at the prop and not the crank,...Thus making a newer 150 more hp than a older 150,.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome gardug! Hey, whereabouts you located neighbor?

She's a great rig and can be a million times better at the end of the build!

The number of iboat restoration threads that stop dead kind of concern me!

Well my friend, starting a project is the easy part. Finishing the the journey is waaaaaaayyyyyy more difficult! That sir, is the challenge;)

gardug0213

Cadet

Hello jasoutside. I am in SE Michigan, but spend time on Lake Huron out of Port Austin. I do not foresee any problems in my ability to finish a project...my concern is coming across a structural problem that is more complicated, technical or expensive to fix. I want to avoid sending her to the recycling yard!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Hey Jig - Maybe the PO saw one of our foam debates, got confused and decided it's not needed. :eek:

I doubt that, even the pool noodle guys know better than that.:rolleyes:

gardug0213

Cadet

The PO removed the foam when the deck was replaced (old deck plywood stamped 1990's). I am assuming that Starcraft did not use pour in foam in 1978, there is not a trace of old foam in the boat. The fact that I did not have to remove the foam is a big bonus for me, but seems like it was a pretty big gamble for anyone using the boat.

Attachments

• Hull Gutted 5.jpg
    Hull Gutted 5.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Hull Gutted 3.jpg
    Hull Gutted 3.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Hull Gutted.jpg
    Hull Gutted.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 2

gardug0213

Cadet

Transom was completely shot - carpenter ants had made their way into the transom wood. It came out good enough to use as a template though. Three piece transom - plywood and nominal lumber construction.

Attachments

• Transom Rot 1..jpg
    Transom Rot 1..jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Transom Rot 1.2.jpg
    Transom Rot 1.2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2

gardug0213

Cadet

What areas of the aluminum are prone to problems/failure in the Starcraft boats? I see no major cracks or failure points in the aluminum. I have inspected the ribs and do not observe any stress cracking at the ends. The transom support brace has some evidence of stress due to the failed transom. Are there any other important areas to inspect? Water testing the hull and rivets is on the to-do list.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Check the blind rivets holding the longitudinal stringers to the ribs. They are often loose and need replacing.

gardug0213

Cadet

You are right Georgesalmon...the stringers are in need of re-riveting. THX.

gardug0213

Cadet

Does anyone know how to remove the cast aluminum nose/bow piece? Is it held on with the rubrail?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know how to remove the cast aluminum nose/bow piece? Is it held on with the rubrail?

I just took a wedge/screwdriver/hammer and was super gentle on my Cheiftain and it came off. I'd just be smart about it..

gardug0213

Cadet

Thanks for the advice ShowMe...I thought about doing a bit of prying, but thought that I would ask around first. It is loose and seems like it could pop off with a little help. BTW nice work on the Chieftain.

gardug0213

Cadet

Picture of the old 3 piece transom - not sure if it is the original. I plan on a one piece replacement. Trashing the old and making a template for new transom construction. I also removed the splashwell.

I am thinking ahead - should the splashwell thru-hull drain fittings need to remain flared aluminum [I do not have the tool for flaring], or can I use a threaded plastic thru-hull fitting. Pros or cons strong for one way or another?

Attachments

• Wood.Old Transom as Template.jpg
    Wood.Old Transom as Template.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2

gardug0213

Cadet

Chemical stripping of the hull has been quite a PITA. Used a combination of products: Klean-Strip from Home Depot and Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover [Methylene Chloride] that I ordered online...neither product worked miracles, but the Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover had slightly better results. Still lots of manual labor - basically applied stripper and let sit, scraped what would come off, then used steel wool with stripper to remove residual paint and finished with a clean scouring pad.

Attachments

• Stripped Hull.jpg
    Stripped Hull.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 2