Resource or guide available for boating terminology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got my first boat ever a year ago January. I did not realize how many specific boating/marine definitions there were to be learned! I asked a lot of questions and googled many terms. I did not even know for sure what part of the boat the hull was, did not know what a gunwale or a spray rail was, never heard of a keel, was not sure what the transom had to do with the stern, on and on and on. I've learned a LOT over the last year as I did resto on my old boat...but is there a one-stop resource (website, book, iBoat thread) which helps new boaters to understand the many terms they need to learn? Something like that might have helped me save many hours a year ago!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Resource or guide available for boating terminology?

Sure -- right here! All you need to do is ask. And remember, the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. Welcome aboard. Scupper, splash well, bow eye, trim tabs, strakes, pads, bilge, ribs, stringers, and a host of others probably give you a headache as well. d:)

ziggy

Admiral

ya could take a boater safety class thru the uscg aux. or the united states power squadron in your area. they will touch on all the proper terminology and a lot more too. + like silvertip says. right here on this fourm. just ask. someone will chime in with the info yer looking for......

Bondo

Staff member

but is there a one-stop resource (website, book, iBoat thread) which helps new boaters to understand the many terms they need to learn?

Ayuh,.......

We've been looking for somebody to write an essay that explains All that,....
So the essay could be posted into the FAQ Knowledgebase up at the top of iboats Forums page......

I'll nominate You to be the author......................d:)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would also recomend the US Coast Guard AUX "Boating Skills and SeamanShip class".

Names and terms is in first or second lesson. Required Saftey Gear and how to use it. Explain what all the Buoys you see mean. What sound signals mean. Boat handleing skills. How to Anchor. Basic engine troubleshooting. How to get a bridge or lock to open.

All the basics your should know if your going to be on the water.

Out here classes are free but must buy the Book about $15. Take the whole family and share the book and extra homework work less than $2

ziggy

Admiral

thats a real hip website plainsman.

joeman,
but is there a one-stop resource

the book, Chapmans Piloting seamanship and boat handleing is perhaps the one stop resorce your looking for. it covers most aspects of boating.

the other one stop resorce in a book would be an oem service manual on your perticular engine and drive.....

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The United States Navy has a four-year course and they'll even pay you to learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.