reselling old boat parts

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in a small coastal town with lots and lots of old boats sitting everywhere. Has anyone in a similar area tried reselling parts, or fixing minor problems and reselling boats / motors? <br /><br />I was thinking about it the other day. I'm good mechanicly, and now how to follow instructions, do all my own car and boat work. I was thinking about makeing reasonably low offers to some of these old ladies that have their passed away husbands boats rotting out front.<br /><br />anyways, just a though, anyone else do it, done it, or thought about it?<br /><br />Kevin

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: reselling old boat parts

I've done it by buying them and parting them out- made enough that it paid for my boat and all the gear on board too...

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outboards and other parts are great on ebay. You get top dollar on most everything.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what I though. some used parts go for only slightly less than new. <br /><br />I guess the trouble is getting the motor only, without having to deal with the boat. I wouldn't mind buying the whole boat if it is somewhat easily repairable, I like the work, but don't need to get stuck with junk hulls and trailers. How do you dispose of a old boat hull? (fiberglass, aluminum is easy :) )<br /><br />I'm going to give this some real consideration as I drive around town hunting...

ndemge

Commander

trailers sell , just start with no reserve and you'll be able to get rid of em, can even make good money with some earl shibe work<br /><br />....have some property to have a extra large bbq for the boats?.... :)

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trailers will sell on ebay and ive found just about any useable trailer is worth selling on ebay or local.<br />You can haul the old junk hulls to your local dump or just post it on yahoo freecycle (im sure you have a local freecycle by yahoo) and give it away.

ndemge

Commander

Didn't even think of freecycle...<br /><br /><br />freecycle is the BEST way to get rid of trash. SOMEONE will want it! Has saved me from having to cut up big bulky stuff many times, just post it and someone will want it, and be happy to get it too.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good. I am definatly going to keep an eye on the old junkers that are just sitting with no for sale signs.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea, freecycle is the way to go.<br />Check here to see if there is a group in your area.<br />www.freecycle.org<br />We are now up to 2,877 Freecycle™ Communities<br />With over 1,450,949 Freecycle™ Members Worldwide.