Resealing alpha one drive

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 Tiara, 260 mercrusier, closed cooling system, with alpha one drive....I live in the northeast, my questions is, as a preventitive measure, what would be the reccomended number of years before resealing the drive. I probably use the boat about 30 to 40 hrs. per year.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Resealing alpha one drive

When they leak. There is no recommended number of years for a drive reseal.

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your response.....Seems odd there would not be a recommended service time...how would you know you have a leak if there is no external reservoir??.....think I'll have it done before I put it in the slip for the season.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is other scheduled maintenance that would tell you that something is leaking. Yearly or 100 hr lube changes. If it's low or milky, there is a leak. the drive should be pulled yearly to lube the ujoints, and check the alignment. If you found gear lube in your bellows, you would know there is a seal leak on the input shaft of the drive.
Even at that, if you want to reseal them every 10 or 20 years, go for it, it doesn't have to be recommended by anyone.

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's been 5 or 6 years since the bellows was replaced so I figured while I had the drive removed I'd be proactive and have it resealed as I can not remember when it was done last.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

That really Ain't a Bad Idea..........;)

My transom has 8 years on it,+ I'm Just now seeing some Checking in the bellows,.....
It's getting Fresh Rubber this year....
And,.....
The Outdrive showed a few of the signs Don mentioned,...
So it's getting a Reseal as Well.....