Repowering with newer engine/outdrive. Transom rebuild

drwgblanks

Seaman
Any of you guys with some experience (Bondo, etc), I have a couple questions. I have talked with Bondo a little about this before. I have just pulled out my engine and outdrive from my '77 Aquasport. It was a mercruiser 120/140 outdrive and a 2.5 liter gm engine. I have to replace the transom. I have a '97 Bayliner that I'm trying to take newer power from. It has the 3.0 with alpha gen 2. What will I have to do to make this newer outfit fit? Any transom work, or just take out all the parts from the Bayliner and replace the older stuff? I ask now because I need to know if I have to change that hole any while I'm in it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Repowering with newer engine/outdrive

Merc has used the same cutout for years. The only difference will be that the Gen II (Bravo's also) has two additional bolt holes you will need to drill.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Thanks, that's what someone else told me on iboats.com last week. I just wanted to reconfirm because I will be right there working on the transom tomorrow. I would have hated to have had it all out, and then get it back together to find out the new drivetrain wouldn't fit. I appreciate it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check placement of your motor mount on the stringers.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

As noted by TD,........ With the 2 extra holes drilled,...... It Should fall right into Place............

It's Possible that you Might need to do alittle Tweeking,.....
But Nothing Major........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah it's a PIA to have the motor hanging an nothing to attach it too.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Thanks you all. I think the old motor mount for the 2.5 is going to line up. Well I'm going to hope so anyway, the measurements seem to work out from what I can tell. Now I just need to get some cutting blades and go to town on it. Wish me luck. I'll take some pics before I begin cutting and hopefully you all can see the progress. Btw, I was going to use polyester resins to save some bucks. If you all think this is a really big no no, then stop me now. I have done a lot of research over the last couple of years or so though. But as you know, when you really get the ball moving, you seem to forget everything you've read. Can anybody clue me in on what mats to use and what kind of layers I need to do? I think I'm going to replace the entire floor too. I'm praying the stringers are going to be ok since the transom only has a little rot around the scuppers and the hole for gimbal housing.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Wow, this transom is a PIA to get to. I have been grinding and sawing all morning. So here's the scoreboard so far and then pics to follow. Engine and outdrive out...Me 1. Wasp sting...boat 1. Transom being a pia thanks to all the inside trim....boat 1. One brand new grinder already fried and in the trash...boat 1. Finding out that the floor shows no signs of rot after 30 years...me 1. I guess checking near and around transom for deterioration in the stringers could really put the boat score outta reach....which could also take points back for the floor. So far me 2, boat 3.

I started to cut out the floor in the rear so as to make everything accessible. The wood looked brand new. I just cut through about 2 feet only about 1/4 inch deep. I immediately stopped. So I pulled off a seat that has been screwed into the floor for years. No rot. So I think the floor (unless stringers look like crap once I get the engine housing out) is going to be put off for many years. Has anybody ever figured out a way to take out old foam without removing entire floor? Perhaps deck hatches?