Repowering a Vintage 65' Starcraft

jacobmorin

Seaman
I have almost finished restoring my 16' 1965 fiberglass Starcraft. I have done some work to the 1972' 65hp motor, but it doesn't look like there is much life left in it. I would like to purchase a new motor for the boat, however could I hook a newer motor up to my boat if it has the old pully system steering? I am not sure if I would be able to hook the system to a new motor and none of the outboard stores I call are much help.
Please help.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Repowering a Vintage 65' Starcraft

Ok since no one with more experience has posted yet I'll give it a go :p

I just did the opposite and replaced a pully system with a rotary cable system on a '78 evinrude. The way it hooked up was a bracket connecting the two ends of the cable through a bolt to the "handle" (not sure if there's a different term for it, wasn't a tiller though) on the front of the motor. On some of the newer motors I've looked at there's either a similar "handle" in front or just a small assembly that would attach to the steering arm connected to the cable running through the tilt tube. I would think it would be possible to simply either bolt it up identically, or adjust the cable for any offset depending on the setup. I'd go physically look at any outboard you thought of buying to see how it's set up, or try and find another older motor that's been professionally seviced and has some sort of guarantee.

Hopefully that made sense, if not hopefully one of the more experienced guys will post shortly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure it can be done very simply. here's my 56 Duracraft, with 71 50hp. it is fixing to get a 1988 48 spl.

Attachments

• MVC-242S.JPG
    MVC-242S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

wonder where i got them? thanks, Willyclay.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depends on the new or new2you engine. It may or may not have a steering attachment point sticking out the bottom front of the cowling. If it does, you can go ahead and use it.

If it doesn't (or even if it does), converting (new helm, steering wheel, cable and minor installation work in the back of the boat) to the single cable system is easy. The cost of the new steering system isn't that much (well at least relative to boat stuff) and I think it is a much better system.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have almost finished restoring my 16' 1965 fiberglass Starcraft.

IMHO if you're "restoring" a 1965, then put a 1965 motor on it.. Actually old motors are as reliable as new motors. You can service them yourself. The 1965 45 HP West Bend - Chrysler on my boat only weights 130 pounds.. And it pushes my 14 footer at 30+ MPH.

You might want to read about reliability:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/16/index.cfm

Where to find those old Gems: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/18/index.cfm

And as for steering, my experiences might help: http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,205,00.html

Good luck.. Some of us wish we had a 65 Starcraft to rebuild