Repower 71 OMC to 4.3/5.7 MPI Merc?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repower 71 OMC to 4.3/5.7 MPI Merc?

This is a tough question,I may be having to deal with it myself when OMC Cobra parts become unavailable. I have priced out replacing the Cobra drive with a Volvo SX (single prop) and it is about the value of the boat or a little more. Worth it? Well I can get a new FW 200 for about 30K, or one that is a few years old for 20K, etc. <br />Maybe the best idea is to look at 3-4 year old fishing style boats with outboards (maybe best to stick with the conventionl 2 strokes). I bet for the cost of a complete repower, and glass work you can find a good boat that will be fairly new, reliable, a standard package that can be easily serviced, and will still be salable some years down the road. See that is the thing, unless you plan to keep this forever, eventually you may sell it and to convince someone it is worth even 1/2 of what you put into it may be difficult. Maybe one can do this with a Bertram, or similar boat, I don't know. <br />As for me, depends on what mood I'm in when the time comes. I happen to like the older style Four Winns compared to the new ones. I know I can buy the whole 4.3/sx drivetrain, including the transom shield, tilt n trim, etc for about 8200 form doug russell. Then there is the install, who knows how long it takes, probably the whole job will come in at about 11K or so. About 1/3 the cost of new, and would run like new, which a 11K used boat may not. But you have to keep it for the long haul then, and make sure your ins will cover the loss if something happens.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the old Bertrams, they do get top dollar for them, but they are awsome!!!

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

To Don S.<br />I never mentioned a 4.3 carb, in fact my thread topic said 4.3/5.7 MPI. I will only be going with fuel injection. Again I am still looking at the 5.0 and possibly the 5.7 Horizon, because I really like freshwater cooling. <br /><br />To WillyBWright<br />If I were to by new I would be buying something 24-30ft. No need to rebuy a smaller boat. To the idea of buying a bigger used boat, than I am back in the same engine with a drivetrain that I dont know how long it will last. With a new driveline I am good to go.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get an outboard bracket and put one or two on!

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Hey John thanks for the link it looks like exactly what I was looking for. If it pushes that mako 23 to 50mph (or 43/44 knots), and with my boat weighing more, I should still be able to hit 38knots or so with it in my boat. I am still looking at that 350 horizon though... and the equivalent Volvo