Report Card Time, trouble with #1 son.

PW2

Commander
Re: Report Card Time, trouble with #1 son.

Have you talked to his teachers? They might have some insights, and at least their side of the story.<br /><br />Better yet, take your son when you meet with the teachers, and get a dialogue going.<br /><br />I had a deal with my daughters where they had lots of personal freedom as long as the grades remained good..If the grades slipped, then I would get involved and find the reason--whatever that reason was--<br /><br />It's possible its bad teachers--my daughter had one that was a real piece of work, but then we involved the principal, councellors, and in our case the head of the districts special ed dept...and we got it resolved. Anything short of that was not an option.<br /><br />These people are no different than anyone else they don't like problems, but will only really get involved if the parent forces them to...<br /><br />Good luck

aspeck

Staff member

Sounds like your son would do well with homeschooling. There you can tailor the lessons to meet his learning needs - more challenge and less busy work!<br /><br />Just a thought.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all again for your comments. I'm spending the weekend developing a plan to deal with this. <br /><br />It looks like I'm not alone here. I have half a mind to let the boy look at this thread. Maybe something will sink in.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help. It puts things in perspective for me.<br /><br />Jinx

SoulWinner

Commander

From what I've read here, all you guys should try home schooling. It takes a lot of commitment and stuff, but it sure nice to see my son happy and making good grades and enjoying a much closer relationship with his parents.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

jinx, I can promise you there wasnt much anyone could have threatened me with or bribed me with to make me improve my grades.<br /><br />The solution I came up with was to drop all honors classes and just take the easiest ones I could find. I was much happier with the easy classes and I could breeze through them.<br /><br />Then he can take some clases at a local community college and see if it is for him.<br /><br />Ken

jinx

Letters go to all his teachers tomorrow detailing his problem in certain classes. In addition, he'll have a homework journal to have them initial every day so I can be in the loop as to what he needs to have done.<br /><br />I will also have a better bead on what kind of work it is so I can maybe have them assign research papers--which he likes to do--rather than just drill type work. He likes challenges, he's taking 5 AP courses next year, because he wanted to.<br /><br />It's so late in the year that transfer to home or other school doesn't make much sense as of yet.<br /><br />On a side note, he went on his first date this weekend---maybe the love of a good woman!! Lord knows, his hygiene has improved.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Jinx

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

On a side note, he went on his first date this weekend...
I wouldn't encourage that game jinx. I dare say that serious involvement, at his age, with the girls has derailed many a young man. You think he is distracted and unattentive now??? :eek:

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jinx, are you on drugs ? Your boy has a problem with getting his priorities straight, and now you welcome a girlfriend into this ? Close your eyes, and try to remember....way back when......teenage girls demand attention worse than grown women! All she is going to be preaching to him is that he doesn't care enough for her, he doesn't spend enough time with her, he doesn't care enough about her feelings. At the very least, keep him away from her until his grades improve! At the worst, you will have a failure that is trying to raise another kid....HIS! Just in-case you haven't noticed, these girls today don't say no....they do everything we used to dream about girls doing.....and they're not afraid of getting pregnant.....some of them want that!

jinx

Fortunately she lives in the next town so access is, for the time being, controlled.<br /><br />Jinx