Replacing vertical drive shaft. As long as it's got a preload pin Im good?

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing vertical drive shaft. As long as it's got a preload pin Im good?

Alright, pics are ready.

To get the coil off the shift dog so that the pin would release and allow the shift dog to come off the shaft, I used my skinny hand, and two o-ring picks. One was straight, the other was a J hook.

I slid my hand into the housing and got my pointer finger into the groove on the top side of the dog, and my middle finger into the groove on the underside.

Once I could feel the coiled spring with my pointer finger I rotated the shaft to find the end of the coil.

At that point, I pinched my fingers into the groove and started rotating the shaft again, keeping the end of the coil pushed against the end of my finger, and the middle finger pressed up against the coil from the under side to act as a brake so it wouldn't spin around the dog.

That forced the end of the coil to bulge out. Once it cleared the top of the groove, I held it tight and carefully inserted the straight o-ring pick under that raised coil.

20130704_151718.jpg

At this point, the coil is captured, and you can let go of the dog and pull your hand out.

I then carefully inserted the J-hook under the coil being held up by the straight pick.

Slowly start rotating the shaft again, while gently pulling the pick towards you and that last coil of the spring will be derailed from the groove and follow the pick.

Three rotations later and you should have the shift dog retaining spring - in usable condition - sitting in front of the dog. Shake the pin out, pull the dog out, celebrate with beer.

Thanks again Bt Doctur for the tip. Maybe next time you need to pull a drive apart like this my technique speeds things up for you a bit. That took me 10 minutes working on the floor in a poorly lit basement.

20130704_151917.jpg
End result: Prop shaft slides out, broken driveshaft stub falls out, pinion gear comes out, forward gear comes out.

If that is new as it says... it's a bargain and a half. Those go for double to triple that price. Quite an endeavor you have there, between the carrier and the vertical shaft, most (myself included) would have just picked up a whole complete lower and been on their way.

It looks like you have an MC-1 lower mated to an Alpha One upper.

Good luck with the project

soggy_feet

Before the impact issues, I had just finished doing a bunch of seals.

If you don't include parts I bought but wasn't able to use (because they're the wrong part), I really only spent about $60.

Add rock damage, and now I'm adding $100 more worth of parts, excluding the prop, which I MAY rebuild myself.

Add in the value of my time, and I'm WAAAAY over the cost of a replacement drive. That's the only way I'm over cost though. If you don't include the time, I'm hardly touching the cost of a replacement drive.

The trade off between time and money is in the experience I gain from this. I can have a drive off a boat, and upper and lower separated inside of 10 minutes.

Water pump? Piece of cake.
Shift shaft bushing? Doesn't matter how old it is, custom built socket for the impact removes it in seconds.
Bearing carrier, or damage behind it? Beefy 1/2" drive socket for the retaining nut powers thru anything attached to a 30" breaker bar. I've got all the dimensions and machines to build a bearing carrier complete in a day, and I've got the system down to remove a broken shaft inside of 30 minutes.

Last year I cut the front 8ft off my steel boat and fabricated a complete bow for it, of my own design. Functions better than the original, looks better too.

Year before, I gutted the plywood super structure and framed it all up, insulated it, and applied mahogany paneling.

Now that I think of it, I'm in the wrong business. I should be building custom boats and getting PAID to do it....

soggy_feet

I am about to flip OUT.

In all the back and forth between ebay pages trying to figure out which shaft it was I needed, I ordered the wrong damn one.

CLEAR AS DAY, 13 spline, when I needed an 8 spline.

Fortunately, nobody needs the damn things, and the other listing was still up.

Unfortunately, nobody needs the damn things, so how the hell do I unload a drive shaft I just spent a ton of money on.

Oh yeah, and the TWO bearing carriers that I don't need.