replacing trim tab switch need help

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
I have a set of bennet trim tabs on my boat which have a 4 button controls right know which are broke. I bought a set of rocker switches which are carver oem but I can not remember how to wire them all up. I can't rember when you push which switch makes which tab move and which way the tab goes up or down. Since it is kind of backwards of what you think they move. I replaced my old joystick control setup which was bennet also years ago on a different boat with the rocker setup and can not rember how I figured out the wiring.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: replacing trim tab switch need help

Well I tried to wire up the switches today and I am confused I had one switch back feeding both tabs some how. I am not real sure what is going on. On the back of the carver switches there is numbers and 9 different tabs so I am not sure were I need jumpers or what is going on.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture or two of your switch. Carver doesn't make switches, they buy them from someone. If you have a Bennett trim system, chances are you have a Bennett switch of some kind.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

BadBowTie,

I am assuming you bought two of those switches.

I cannot tell from the link, but they need to be double pole / double throw switches. That means each switch needs to have 6 terminals to work properly. Can you post a photo of the back of one of them.

To properly wire the Trim Tabs you will need to jumper the terminals on the back of the switch together to work properly.

Take a look at this picture;

rs.jpg

This is the back of a Bennett Rocker Switch. You can see the brass straps used to jumper the terminals. You can see where the Blue, Yellow, Red and Green wires and the + is the hot lead should attach. Note that the each of the red and each of the green terminals are connected to each other, but you can't see the brass strap since it runs along the side of the switch.

I hope this is helpful, let me know what questions you might have