replacing transom

BigCrappie

Recruit
Hello all, I'm trying to fix up my 14' aluminum. I plan on painting it and using some kind of non skid paint on the inside so I'm doing all the repairs first. Today I took out the old wood transom piece and I'm trying to find a place that can cut the exact piece that I took out. I don't have the tools or I would do it myself. Can anyone help me out. This is my first boat and I'm just trying to get it all together so I don't have to touch it for a while. Thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: replacing transom

seems like any handy man or contractor could handle that pretty easy, break out the phone book and call.

Can't be much to cut one peice of wood.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you know how to use a jig saw, which is all you should need, try one of those rental places. Most of them rent by the day or even 1/2 day. Then again you can get a good jig saw for $40 at Sears. I think Wal-Mart even has one for $20 in some generic.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I assume your "old wood transom piece" is just the board that the motor attaches to. Replace it with 3/4" Marine plywood, doubled. Cut it with a circular saw: borrow, buy or rent.
If your whole transom was wood and removed, then you would need a jig saw, maybe a router with a cutting blade, or sawzall if you have steady hands. Rent or take to a handy man.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry about "finding" a non skid paint; make your own. Get whatever quality oil based paint you want and get some "play sand". I say play sand because it is washed and uniform in texture, consistency and particle size.

You can either add it to the can and stir it up.

Or using a hand held, crank type seed spreader (you can p/u an HD or Lowes), put a light coat of paint on the bottom. Then evenly spread the sand on the paint (sparse coverage....grains need not touch) and let the paint dry like overnight (weather and temp dependent of course). Then come back with a top coat and let her dry. You have your non-skid surface.

I did the tongue of my trailer like this because I was tired of hurting myself slipping off the slick tonge while trying to launch and load. Worked like a charm and has been in place for about 5 years and has barely worn.

HTH

Mark

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never thought of putting sand on wet paint for traction. That is a great ideal. I think I will try thast on my trailer wheel fenders. I climb on them to get in the boat on land and when my shoes ar wet it is slick.