replacing transom on my 1975 sleekcraft

boatersam

Cadet
I have taken the rub rail of and removed all the pop rivets, but I cannot take the top off because it is glassed together..how can I remove the top, or can I just replace the transom from the inside without taking the whole top of the boat off?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: replacing transom on my 1975 sleekcraft

I'm at about the same place replacing my transom as you. I'm getting a air operated reciprocal saw to cut mine with. They're small and look like they will reach where I need to cut anyway. If you've got an air compressor, you can get this saw from Harbor Freight for twenty bucks plus s & h.<br />Here's Harbor Freight's web site. Harbor Freight Tools <br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Well, something has to be cut, so it time to decide what gets cut. If you want to maintain the appearance of the boat, then cut the glass holding the top on. If you think you can make the repair look good, then you could cut the splashwell out. The splashwell is the main problem because you have to be able to install the transom with the splashwell out of the way. I am not a big fan of the splashwell technique, but in your case it may save you some suffering. Is the boat a bowrider or a closed bow? Do you have to replace the floor and stringers?<br /><br /> A 4 inch electric angle grinder was my tool of choice for my project, the metal cutoff wheel goes through fiberglass like it isn't there so you have to be real careful, and it kicks out a bunch of dust. Good luck, and lets get some pics...

boatersam

Cadet

Hooty and jason, thank you for the reply. I think i will have just cut it off like you guys sugested. I was wondering if I could just use a wire cup brush and remove some of the old glass and it would be easier to see where to cut, isnt the top half supposed to overlap the bottom, isnt that the purpose of the pop rivets?

boatersam

Cadet

Hooty, its a closed bow and the floor and everything else is perfect..

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Depot sells a grinding/cutting disk called a "superdisk". I used it on my 4" grinder for my entire project. It worked great. I keep finding more uses for it.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Runabout Restoration Guru Jim Anderson sez that sometimes they put a layer of mat down, but try to pop it up with a block of wood and a rubber mallet, otherwise get a hacksaw blade in there and cut the two sections apart<br /><br />I would suggest that book to anyone thats going to take the plunge, its a small price for the comfort of having someone that has been there, done that hundreds of times, great book btw<br /><br />good luck!

boatersam

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the replies, well my boat is getting there, I did take the top off, cut it with a hacksaw..what a pain..but I have taken all of the old transom off and am about to put in the new wood, but the challange is going to be to glass the boat back together..Im also taking pictures, so I will have them up after Im done..<br />any suggestions on glassing.. I would appreciate it..