Replacing the starter on a 1982 murcuriser 260 hp

82mur

Recruit
It’s been years since I started my 1982 wellcraft 260 hp murcruiser. The starter apparently needs replaced. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Need the standard offset GM marine starter
Suggest looking at the new PMG starters, they weight less and spin the motor faster

I like API 10105

82mur

Recruit
Thx but I’m wanting to know if the motor need’s removed because I’m have trouble accessing the bolt on the back side. I’ve lost my mechanic manual. If so it needs removed where can I find instructions for that. Thx and I will take your advice on the starter brand.

alldodge

Staff member
Manual for your motor is number 3
It's fairly simple, disconnect all electrical ground and power, fuel lines and outdrive. Then remove rear mounting bolts (2 each) and top forward motor mount nuts and washers. Then lift motor out

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thx but I’m wanting to know if the motor need’s removed because I’m have trouble accessing the bolt on the back side. I’ve lost my mechanic manual. If so it needs removed where can I find instructions for that. Thx and I will take your advice on the starter brand.
many cases you have to either remove bits of the boat or pull the motor to get access.

pulling the motor is easy
remove the drive
disconnect all wiring
disconnect all plumbing
unbolt front and rear mounts
lift motor out