Replacing the foam in the floor?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im contimplating replacing my floor ( and probably stringers and transom ) due to your suggestions. I have been reading a lot of these threads and watch a lot of videos you have all posted and think I might lose the summer and do it. the question I have is I see everybody take all the foam out, Do you put foam bac in or do you just leave it empty? I havent seen anyone mention anything about replacing the foam?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing the foam in the floor?

It is mentioned all the time. A lot of the time it depends on the boat. Some boats REQUIRE that it be replaced because the foam is a structural part of the boat. If it is NOT structural, it DOES lend itself to enhancing the SAFETY factor of your boat in that it ensures that it will not sink to the bottom of the lake. If you use the two part pour in foam it somewhat enhances the overall strength of the hull in that it BINDS everything together below deck due to its adhesive type nature. Some states and insurance companies require it.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The main reason from what I read people do not put back foam is because if it gets wet then a herd of unfortunate events could occur including stringer rot, slower mph, etc. This is why you will read people put in pool noodles and other poly-type materials or put drain channels in the foam so that water can drain out. There is also a debate on whether the two part foam can actually be mixed correctly to achieve a foam that is truly closed cell. Personally, if you create drain channels and pour the foam in everywhere except the main drain channel you should be fine. Some will get wet and slow you down, but safety overall is important. Especially, if you run on water were there is no land to run too if the unthinkable happens.

Here is the coast guards take on it:
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Woodonglass is correct 2 part pour foam for some boats provides structural support but not for others. I'm a tin owner and most tinny's don't replace their foam with the pour stuff anymore as it can warp the hull if applied incorrectly. There are many options out there for foam replacement. Search for this topic and ull find tons of threads asking bout foam. The 3 most common foam replacement methods is pour foam, pool noodles (dollar store), and construction foam board (Lowes, HD). If memory serves correctly it's EZ that has a great picture that shows why foam is important! Some do reuse their old foam if its not waterlogged but old foam will not dry out if wet and when wet can add hundreds of pounds and affect performance.I went with the construction foam board route with my restore. I would RECOMMEND replacement of the foam.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm interested in how you go about creating drain channels and if anyone has a pics of the process. I'm doing the floor and transome in a week or so, so I am very interested as I think the foam is part of the structural integrity of a bayliner capri 16.

Thanks
Renny

oops!

Supreme Mariner

to foam or not to foam....that is the question....lol

and its up to you........but it also depends on the boat.

if you are running an older bayliner or other entry level boat.......i would

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input. I will start a new thread when I start tearing into it. Its killing me that I will probably lose the whole summer. :( But saftey first. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you really roll up your sleeves....and go for it.......you can do it in a week. @12 hrs a day.

id use it for the fourth......but then off the water !

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats pretty optimistic. If work keeps going the way it has, time will be on my side but money won't. Lucky for me we are camping for the fourth which means no need for the boat, so I might get my hands dirty (or wet depending on how much water is saturated in the floor) this weekend. I dont want to prolong the inevitable.