Replacing the Floor!!!

I am thinking about replacing the flooring in my boat. I was wondering if it would be ok to use regular Plywood. If not what kind of wood should I use. I really don't do much watersports, I just mainly fish out of my boat. Thanks

92excel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing the Floor!!!

not sure what you mean by regular ply.

Use exterior grade ply.. and make sure you seal it all up with ploy resin and some glass or epoxy resin and you will be good.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

And welcome to inboats.. Make a thread and post all of your questions and you will get walked right through your project!

Thank you for the welcome and I will make sure to keep everyone up to date on my project.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, regular exterior grade ply will work fine. Look for some decent quality stuff and try for BC grade using the B face up so there is less filling to do. Coat the underside with polyester resin. Personally I'd put at least one layer of mat on it too. Allow to cure. Bond it to the stringers and hull with either a polyester/flox type mix or something like 5200 adhesive then coat the deck with polyester resin and a couple layers of glass mat. Finally, paint, carpet or vinyl cover as you desire.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

you have to coat the underside aswell