Replacing steering

jhetrick55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to replace the steering on my 1988 Sierra 165v. I have a 70hp Evinrude powering it. However the steering was not made for my boat and was installed before I bought it, but the cable it several feet longer than it should be and is coiled up and the steering pulls to the right. What I am wondering is what is the best way to measure to purchase the proper length cable? Also, what steering system would be reasonable to purchase for this boat?

Thanks!

jhetrick55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will also add that the throttle seems to push very hard. Any tips on how to lube that or fix... seems like the further I push it the harder it gets. Thanks again!

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sea star Solutions has a measuring guide in their catalog which you can access from their site......http://www.seastarsolutions.com/ . Depending on what is at the helm I would look at replacing your system with one of their complete kits. You get the cable the bezel and steering mechanism and anything else required to install a new system on your boat. Not overly expensive and a pretty straight forward job. I believe you'd need a new steering wheel as well to fit the tapered shaft..

As for the shift and throttle cable I would disconnect them at the motor and then try to see how they feel, If its still tight then replace them. Shifting the motor in and out of gear while its not running can damage the clutch dog on the prop shaft so try to avoid doing that. For the price of two new cables I'd lean towards replacing them while your doing the cable.