Replacing Pull Cord on Johnson 4hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonboatbassin

Seaman
Could anyone give me instructions on how to replace my pull cord? I broke mine on my last trip out last year and am just gettin around to fixin it. I'd hate to get it apart then mess it up. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Pull Cord on Johnson 4hp

Hi, JBB.<br /><br />Sure, glad to help.<br /><br />Step 1. GET A MANUAL! That spring is very dangerous and can cause grievous harm if you turn it loose. It is easier to put toothpaste back in the tube than to do this without a manual.<br /><br />Follow the instructions exactly. Wear heavy gloves and safety glasses.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jonboatbassin

Seaman

i was hopin it'd be a little easier than that. i broke it once before and my friends dad fixed it in about 20minutes with no manual, gloves, or any special tools...<br />thanks anyways

alcan

Commander

Can I get you freinds dads number? I've got a job for him.

crazybear-uk

Seaman Apprentice

I know you think the replies are a little harsh but thier replies are true and to the point. i have been repairing recoils for some 24yrs and like your friends dad can do them fairly quick. but to try and explain that in words and inform you of all the dangers involved would take forever. if you ever have the unfortuant experance of one of those recoil springs whisling round your head you will know what they mean<br />regards<br />mark

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh, c'mon now. I've done this many many times on outboards from a 1946 2.5 hp Evinrude up to a 1982 25 hp Johnson. Had a '59 (i think) 25 hp I probably did it 3 or 4 times. Never a manual. <br />Now there is no doubt that spring can be tricky and dangerous (I highly recommend the safety glasses) and it can be a bit of a trial and error thing, along with a few choice words from time to time, but it certainly can be done. A good manual will no doubt make the process go easier and quicker, with less cussing, but a reasonably mechanically inclined person can get it done without that much trouble, as long as he is reasonably careful in the process

JB

Well, like crawling across the freeway during rush hour, if you make no mistakes it is easy.<br /><br />If I try to explain to someone who has no manual how to do it and he makes a mistake he gets hurt, maybe bad. And he still has to pay someone with a manual to try to fix it.<br /><br />I would not accept that risk or responsibility.<br /><br />That is why a covey of lawyers must review and approve every service manual before publication.<br /><br />If you want to advise someone to try something dangerous, that is your choice.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

thanks for the help guys. i may just give my buddy a call tomorrow and see if his dad is busy.

alcan

Commander

Hi Jonboat<br /> You could do that, or you could post the model# of your motor and your email address. Then I will send you instructions if you promise to wear your safety glasses.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

the model # is 4w72s. you can send the instructions to tlohr@prodigy.net<br />Thanks alot for the help <br /><br />and ya i'll wear safety glasses

JB

Say, JBB.<br /><br />I just reread my posts.<br /><br />I sure was in a cranky mood and my recommendations sound harsh. <br /><br />I apologize for that, but my recommendations are the same.<br /><br />An experienced wrench can often anticipate a problem that less experienced folks don't recognize.<br /><br />Guys like Plywoody get away with a lot of stuff that might get a less expert guy in trouble.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jonboatbassin

Seaman

well i just did it. took about 20minutes the first time and 5 the second. i didnt have the knot tight enough the first time so when i pulled it to test after it was all reassembled it just came off in my hand,lol. <br />thanks for the help guys<br /><br />btw--i didnt have any trouble with the spring. once i let the death grip off it to let it settle it was fine. i expected it to go flyin off.

crazybear-uk

Seaman Apprentice

hi<br />if you have trouble with the knot sliping again use a figure of eight knot (correct knot for stater cords) it is shown in most good knots and slices books. use this knot both ends saves embaresment when a normal knot slips and sends you flying backwards with the cord in your hand :eek: <br />regards and happy motoring<br />mark

jonboatbassin

Seaman

ya my friends dad told me to use the figure 8 knot when he fixed it last time but i couldnt for the life of me today remember how to do it. maybe it was jsut the fact that my hands were numb from the cold but i couldnt get it. <br />thanks for the help tho

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Ive done it a few times , never with a manual.<br />The first time I did it was a challenge.If your not expecting that spring to uncoil it can definately injure you!!<br /><br />It really isnt hard its just that d@mn spring!!<br />Once you take it apart you will see how easy it is.<br /><br />"Easy" is a bad word I think "uncomlex" works better ;)

clanton

Rear Admiral

Two inportant things are the length and size of cord, which is in the parts book if Johnson/Evinrude. Some people do great with the spring replacement, a job I let someone else do if possible.

ldorminy

Recruit

Far too many wiseacre know-it-alls on this site and little practical advice at all. Using a figure eight knot is the only DIY advice in the entire thread. Is there no one out there patient enough to offer instruction with the starter cord replacement?

JB

Speaking of wisacres, how about a guy who digs up a 7 year old thread just to bash the helpers???

Status
Not open for further replies.