Replacing or removing VERY old decals...

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class
The decals on the side of my boat are just looking bad. They are torn in lots of places. I played around with removing them, its going to be a monster task in itself. They come off in 1/16" chunks at best.

What is the best way to remove them?

I would really like to get some decals made to match the originals to keep it close to its original look. Anyone know where I'd be able to order some decals that would match or closely resemble the old wellcraft logo and Airslot logo/stripe?

Attachments

• IMG_20110413_153018.jpg
    IMG_20110413_153018.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing or removing VERY old decals...

Eraser wheels work great that attach the a standard drill. Or use a heat gun and a razor blade and peel them off. You're smart to be looking for exact replacements as there will most likely be a ghost image left. I tried wet sanding and buffing my ghost images out and they just laughed at me. I ended up repainting so it wasn't a big deal. Maybe trace what you have left there on to wax paper and take it down to a boat place to try to match them up.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've used the heat gun method several times, just be CAREFUL, not to heat it too much. Also some acetone will help with glue left around. Google the decals there are several places on the net to get them and some will custom make them for you.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

For new decals check out www.vinylapproach.com. I don't know about their pricing but they have a ton of good looking reproduction decals for boats, motors, and trailers.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am having mine done by a buisness in Britain. They are very reasonable seeing they are starting from pics and sizes. Their email address is

Motograffiti <sales@motograffiti.co.uk>