Replacing foam under cap on bass boat

prentice1024

Cadet
I just bought a 1979 Monark 15' fiberglass bass boat. Somebody in the past added handrails along both sides by just screwing them into the fiberglass. Of course, the screw holes have elongated (passenger side only). If I can remove the foam from under the cap, I can reach up and reinforce the screw holes with pressure treated wood. Two questions: 1. Is there an easy way to cut out the foam? 2. What kind of foam do I put back in after the repair is complete? Thanks.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The one thing you don't want to use is pressure treated wood in a boat. use regular wood and coat it with some fiberglass resign. yes you can dig out the foam with an number of items, saws or knifes. you should be able to find some spray foam at a marine store easy enough.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
PT wood is fine in a fiberglass boat, just don't want to use it in an Aluminum boat!
You need to read the Rules of the forum. Not supposed to post mulitiple threads about the same topic. Hundreds of posts per day. It takes time for people to respond. Give it time.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Prentice, you have 2 Topics w/ the same subject, it's a forum software glitch, you probably didn't think it had posted when you got the error message. I'd suggest you ask a MOD to combine the 2 Topics. It'll be less confusing for you & those trying to help.

Wire brush on a drill works well. If you are putting the foam someplace where it will not sit in water you can use the Home Depot version spray foam.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Remove the screws one at a time, and drill thru the foam from the top. Now from the bottom, drill a hole just thru the foam, large enough for a nut and washer. Now thru-bolt the railings. You will not loose enough foam to worry about, and the railing should be strong enough,