Replacing floor

Hello all I have an 89 wellcraft 18 footer with an I/O. Lately Ive noticed an area of the floor where you step into the boat has become a bit spongy. Im wondering how would I go about replacing a section about two feet square. Or do I need to replace the whole floor. Could someone tell me how the decking is connected at the hull wall is there a gap or groove that it locks into, also how is it attached underneath. I would have to tear up my carpeting to see for myself. TIA<br />TOPCAT

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing floor

The floor is usually glassed to the sides and screwed or stapled to the stringers. Once the floor starts to rot you are likely to find other problems. Pull the carpet back and use a hole saw to drill some holes see if the foam is soaked or the stringers and transom rotten.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Replacing floor

All I can tell you is that the "usual" method of constuction is that the hull shell itself is layed out in layers in a mold. Ply wood of the manufacturers specified thickness is glassed to the shell area at the back to form the transom. Wood is cut to shape to form "beams" that run from the back to the front, and is glassed to the hull and transom. These are called Stringers. Cross pieces of wood, usually ply, is ran from one side to another, often starting 4 feet from the transom. these are usually 4 inches wide. The floor itelf is often cut from 4x8 sheets of ply, often 1/2 to 5/8th thick and layed on top of the stringers, and are bonded, screwed, or stapled to the stringers. The point where the floor meets the sides, transom, and bow area are glassed, and then the entire floor is sheathed in a layer or two of glass.<br /><br />If you are curious about the spot, you will probably have to cut an opening large enough to see underneath. All too often, if you get spongy areas in the floor, the rot has already set in to the stringers and floor, and the transom as well. You can't really know unless you open it up. There will also be floatation foam that may be water logged. It cannot be dried, the only solution is to remove it and replace it. Good luck...