Replacing Deck Imperial 15' trihull

:rolleyes:Quick question guys,
I am replacing the deck in my boat and am getting ready to cut the wood. My question is I noticed that no where is or was the wood for the deck or the side braces touching the fiberglass hull. They left an 1/8" gap and let the fiberglass mat lap over the gap sealing it to the sides of the boat. Did they do this for a reason or was it just production line work to save money and time. The transom was not full all the way across the back from one side of the boat to the other it stopped about 8" from either side also. I built a new transom and ran it from (gunwall) one side of the boat to the other matching the shape of the sides for a nice tight fit is this ok you think?:confused:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing Deck Imperial 15' trihull

:rolleyes:Quick question guys,
I am replacing the deck in my boat and am getting ready to cut the wood. My question is I noticed that no where is or was the wood for the deck or the side braces touching the fiberglass hull. They left an 1/8" gap and let the fiberglass mat lap over the gap sealing it to the sides of the boat. Did they do this for a reason or was it just production line work to save money and time. The transom was not full all the way across the back from one side of the boat to the other it stopped about 8" from either side also. I built a new transom and ran it from (gunwall) one side of the boat to the other matching the shape of the sides for a nice tight fit is this ok you think?:confused:

Hello mcgyver..

The deck "cut" wasnt to save $. It was more likely to save construction application costs. The hull/deck joint would not have the deck core all the way to the radius. They should have filled it b4 lam..but thats more time=money.

Your transom might have been some production line manager saying more glass to glass surface on the trans/hull joint is better then a tight hard wood trans to hull..

I can see the benifit of having a solid glass trans.. or even ( If build up enough ) solid 8" glass wrapping around the trans/hull.

Thats not standard though..and you should be fine as long as the prep and lams are good.

Just curious...What kind of boat ? yr. mod. ?

YD.

Don't know the year of the boat I bought it the trailer and motor for $250 from an inlaw. He didn't have any paperwork with any of it but I do know the trailer is a gator tilt trailer and the boat says imperial on the rear of the sides. It looks a lot like hopeshefloats boat made by the same manufacturer. The motor is a mercury ob 65 hp that looks great actually looked out of place on the boat do to neglect of the boat. I have pictures that just need uploaded when I can figure that out..LOL

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

STOP!!! :eek:

Do not spend one penny until you get the registration paperwork cleared up. I do not know the rules where you are at however, many people have wasted money only to find out they have a boat they can not register.:(

Not much of an issue in Indiana, you can file for a lost title with a bill of sale or title it as a homebiult with enough receipts. The trailer is a gator and they only used stick on labels with the id numbers so I will have to stamp numbers in the trailer frame after they come out and inspect it.:)