replacing carpet on rear deck of houseboat

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need help, the outdoor carpet on my houseboat is terrible. I need to replace it. Any ideas for types of products I can install. The problems are as follows:

1. the deck gets lots of hot sun, boat is moored at lake powell.
2. the height of the product, it will become a tripping problem where the height changes from rear deck to mid-ship to bow. we have looked at carpet tiles but the height is to tall and to do the whole boat is too much cash right now. size of deck is about 10 foot square.

we have contemplated using a spray-on bed liner material, but need options from smater guys like you guys at I-boats before we decide.

thanks

spud

Bondo

Staff member
Re: replacing carpet on rear deck of houseboat

Ayuh,....

I've got a 34'er that I'm contemplating using This stuff on,....

It's Roll-on,+ comes in Colors....

Bamby

Seaman

We used a simular product to the link you were provided. We are happy with the results. Have a few small areas that need touched up. But I don't belive they were preped right though. Ours has been down a year now and still looks good. Prep is the key though and make sure everything is sound before applying it. Many colore are avl. which makes it nice and no more wet mushy carpet.
Gregg

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have found that spray on liners have a tendency to be hot on the feet. They look nice and hold up well, but carpet is cooler. Just something to think about.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thick green shag would be awsome. Ok with that said I would go with a good carpet instead of a spray on liner.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot to add that "the effort" is a large factor in making this decision. The boat is only accessed on the lake, dry docking is an option, but we just dry docked last year, it costs a bit to do that. Carpet looks like the best bet so far. Thanks everyone

spud

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thinking about it more if there is a diving deck area I woul go with the spray on but otherwise I would stay with the carpet.