Replacing Canvas Snaps On Hull

Wonderlar

Recruit
Does anyone have suggestions on how to replace the male end of a canvas/bimini snap? There is a 1/2" size hole in the fiberglass hull where the male end of the snap head is missing (It appeared to be a screw in type of snap head). What would be the best way to get started on a repair? Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all you iboater's who take the time to answer we boat novice's questions! Wonderlar

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Replacing Canvas Snaps On Hull

Ick! Can you get to the underside of the spot where it was mounted? If it were my boat, it would quite naturally be an unaccessible area. That's how it goes with me.

If you can, you can put in a repair patch pretty simply on the back side, then fill the 1/2" hole with whatever. When installing the replacement, use a backup piece to spread the load.

If you can't access the other side, then it gets a little wonkier.

a70eliminator

Captain

Get a wooden dowell the right size smear some epoxie on it and pound it into the hole, once glue dries trim it flush and screw you a new snap into it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Get a wooden dowell the right size smear some epoxie on it and pound it into the hole, once glue dries trim it flush and screw you a new snap into it.

That's pretty much how I've done it, but I use a tapered "splinter" of wood. Epoxy in the hole, jamb the wood in, let it dry, cut off any excess.

Wonderlar

Recruit

Thanks for your help. . .It's appreciated! Wonderlar