Replacement Rocker Trim Switch for 1980's Morse Remote Control

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey there,

So I have this exact control setup for my boat with a mercruiser I/O:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401079008310?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
s-l1600.jpg

I was troubleshooting why the trim switch never worked, but the tilt switch always did. Turns out the tilt switch is faulty. Does anyone know if I can still find replacement switches for this control stick? Or if there is anyone who can provide any advice on how to dismantle one of these, that would be very helpful to me.

Another thought I'm considering is removing the bad trim switch, abandoning the tilt switch and moving it over to the trim switch's location. I can then throw in a simple ON/OFF switch to toggle between "TRIM" mode and "TRAILER" mode using just the single trim switch. The toggle switch would bypass out the trim limiter switch on the outdrive.

Thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are those two screws under the handle? I'd be removing them, Woe.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, I did manage to remove those to have a look in there. Just not sure how to pop out the switches, and how the wires are fed through the handle. I'll need to spend more time on it later tonight.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think the center of the handle can be pried off to get to the screw or nut underneath for removal of the handle. That should make things easier to see the wire routing and switch removal.

We gotta get you on the water so you can change your username to YIPPEEIDONTGOTA470! LOL

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think the center of the handle can be pried off to get to the screw or nut underneath for removal of the handle. That should make things easier to see the wire routing and switch removal.

We gotta get you on the water so you can change your username to YIPPEEIDONTGOTA470! LOL

Hahahaha hell yes!! I like that! I'm tryin' by best to get there asap, believe me.

Thanks for the tip on yankin' the handle, I'll give that a shot. Might even pull the entire trim panel down if it makes working on it easier.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so I just had an interesting thought/idea. First I'm going to post this diagram of the wiring skeematic for the tilt trim controls...

Ok, so this is basically the setup I have. Only thing different is that the red + feed doesn't come from the ignition, it comes directly off the pump itself.
OK, so my original idea was to abandon the tilt switch, and have a toggle switch in the dash to switch from Trim mode to Tilt/trailer mode. I would accomplish this by only having the trim switch wired up, and the new trailer mode switch connected between the purple and blue wire.

My newest thought is, to instead use a relay in place of the new "trailer mode" toggle switch. The relay would be actuated off the ignition circuit, such that the tilt function is only operational when the key ignition is in the off position. I'd need a spst relay, with the purple and blue wires connected to the normally closed pins. When the relay is energized, the circuit is open, this way the tilt/trim function is completely automatic and foolproof. Is there any reason not to do it this way, something I'm missing?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sounds overly complicated to me,....

I just by-passed the trim limit switch, 'n use the one button,....