Replacement Model and serial number plate

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement model and serial number plate for my motor. It fell off at one point (it's still on the plug), and I'm repainting it and would like to have it.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Not that I'm aware of....most motors with missing tabs are stolen.

Several years of Yamahas fell off from bad decals.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most motors up to the mid 1980's had a metal plate riveted on the midsection-----Then they were allowed to use plastic stickers that faded or were destroyed with cleaning.---Should never have been allowed.----Especially in areas where outboards have a title to them.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Most motors up to the mid 1980's had a metal plate riveted on the midsection-----Then they were allowed to use plastic stickers that faded or were destroyed with cleaning.---Should never have been allowed.----Especially in areas where outboards have a title to them.
I agree.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What motor ?----Pictures of the plug ?----Pictures of the motor ?
I am pretty confident it is not stolen. It had been rebuilt and painted at some point. It had a sticker and was not a riveted metal plate. I looked at another 48spl of the same era. It's a 1989 Johnson 48hp SPL. The boat I bought (a 1989 Sea Nymph FM161B ) came with this same motor, so I suspect it is original. My state doesn't title and register outboards, so there is no way to confirm. We did check local PD and did a search online.

I repainted over the winter and thought having the ID plate where it should be would be a nice touch.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I sort of researched that and found some sketchy ones on eBay for a Yamaha I owned. Knew the guy who bought it brand new. The company never got back to me. Scammers.

I believe if you give Racerone the info your requesting he might have a lead.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Being that OMC went out of Business about 1/4 Century ago, the Chance of getting a replacement is between Slim and Impossible

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Personally, I think the easiest thing to do, actually Racerone's idea is probably the easiest thing to do, but grab another clamp arm from the same motor with the same model number and you'd be good to go. Just remember to disclose it to the buyer.

Matt

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sticker would have been on the swivel bracket.----Not easy to swap out.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
This is what I found....maybe my terms are incorrect but I don't think so. Again, make your own sticker, do you have a laser printer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323-074102.png
    Screenshot_20240323-074102.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 2

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is what I found....maybe my terms are incorrect but I don't think so. Again, make your own sticker, do you have a laser printer?
I think I will try to find one that is clearly a replacement but close to what the original would look like. If I ever sell it (I like this motor), I can disclose it was replaced and show the plug so they can do their own validation.