replacement Chevy engine for volvo penta

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hello guys , what is the replacement parts of Chevy engine for Volvo Penta
50gxic 270 /
A196003 /
40869324/
basically i want to buy distributor spark cap and rotor for my boat from AutoZone instead order it online

please let me know what Chevy engine i need to ask AutoZone to get the right parts .

Thank you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... While it's a Chevy motor, it's not a Chevy ignition,.....

You need to buy parts for the Volvo ignition,.....

matt167

Rear Admiral
Napa carries some stuff for boats as they do carry Sierra. But you will need to know the part numbers

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You should go on the Volvo Penta parts website and put in the model # for your engine. Then get the parts #s and see what it cross references to. A couple of aftermarket parts suppliers you may come across are Sierra and Mallory. There is no automotive distributor cap that’s going to work on your marine distributor. The distributor could be a Prestolite or a GM EST depending on the year of production. And never use an auto distributor, alternator or starter on a marine gas inboard. Dangerous because they must be spark protected.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Get the GM or Volvo parts. Not AutoZone.
You want marine quality. Resistance to corrosion and protected from spark that could ignite gas fumes. You can buy aftermarket marine quality like Sierra. Just avoid the parts made for an engine in a car.

vroom ZOOM

Chief Petty Officer
Hello guys , what is the replacement parts of Chevy engine for Volvo Penta
50gxic 270 /
A196003 /
40869324/
basically i want to buy distributor spark cap and rotor for my boat from AutoZone instead order it online

please let me know what Chevy engine i need to ask AutoZone to get the right parts .

Thank you
I will say something a little different than the replies here and might get hated on, but it might save you some cash. What you have is a "crab cap" distributor, it is a GM HVS distributor. What you could do is go ahead and buy the GM distributor (make sure it is OEM acdelco) and look for a stamp that says "J1171" on the distributor. If there is one, then you are safe to legally put it in your boat, as it is ignition protected. I don't care if the box says volvo or mercury or sierra or whatever, what matters is the J1171 stamp, that is what determines whether the engineers say it is ignition protected or not.
For some reason there is no such stamp on these HVS distributor caps, whether the marine or automotive version. I have changed out a few of the caps and the marine and auto version are identical. Whether you want to do this or not is up to you. If you want to use the automotive HVS caps, I would really err on the side of caution and use the OEM ACdelco ones only. If their distributor is J1171 certified, then the cap should be ok as well (spoiler alert: I am pretty sure they supplied the distributors to volvo). I can't say the same for automotive aftermarket ones, I'd avoid those.

The same goes for any other car parts like starters and alternators, many of these are actually ignition protected in cars as well. If you buy a reputable brand and it has that J1171 certification sticker on it, you should be ok with the coast guard and such.

Disclaimer: I was discussing the HVS ignition system here only. The above may not necessarily be applicable to engines not equipped with the GM HVS ignition system.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is only one GM HVS dizzy.....supplied by AC Delco for GM engines assembled in the Tonawanda engine plant.... Both Marine and truck pulled from the same parts bin.

vroom ZOOM

Chief Petty Officer
There is only one GM HVS dizzy.....supplied by AC Delco for GM engines assembled in the Tonawanda engine plant.... Both Marine and truck pulled from the same parts bin.
Yes, 100%. I just wanted to be clear in my post to avoid cheap knockoffs, who knows if they are ignition protected. OE GM is fine (they still go bad all the time though, I have fixed a hilarious number of "no start" engines just by swapping out bad crab caps and spark plugs)