Replacement battery suggestion?

rpf1e11

Cadet
I need to replace the starting battery for my 1975 85 hp Evinrude outboard. No extraordinary electronics on board, and I have a separate deep-cycle for my trolling motor. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Replacement battery suggestion?

Well....many people have had luck with walmart marine batteries but I tend to be more thrifty (cheap)..... I visit the Interstate Battery Store and buy a "Blem" for usually less than 50% retail. No warranty but I have been lucky and had great service from the interstate marine batteries I have used in the past.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

At a minimum get one with 500CCA (620 MCA) and 90 minutes reserve capacity.

Personally I went with a 1000MCA, 115 minute reserve battery for my 70hp. Better to have more than you need than have less and need it!

Mine cost about 100$.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would not pay much attention to brand as the name brands need to pay for advertising which adds no value to the battery. Just buy the largest "capacity" starting or "dual purpose" battery you have room for. You cannot have too much power -- just too little.

oldrenken79

Seaman Apprentice

The name on the battery doesn't mean a thing if it's not enough to do the job.

Go for CCA (cold cranking amps) and reserve capacity, and make sure it's a marine battery. An automotive battery isn't designed for use on the water.