Replaced prop with the "same" spec prop. Loss of bottom end.

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
I can't find any reference to OD 12 20 on Solas site. Was that prop new or a rebuilt?
Bought it new at local Marine store. It is a 13x19. Its crazy how that cup let's it hold onto the top end so well. Honestly gonna see about returning the prop. But if not. Venting Maybe? I feel if the prop could slip alittle when coming out of the hole It would help the engine out?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Bought it new at local Marine store. It is a 13x19. Its crazy how that cup let's it hold onto the top end so well. Honestly gonna see about returning the prop. But if not. Venting Maybe? I feel if the prop could slip alittle when coming out of the hole It would help the engine out?
Where the Cup is on that prop increases the Rake and Rake can really help a Prop maintain its Grip on the Water
My 3 props, 2 are RAKERs, the other Mercury Enertia, all have lots of Rake and Cup

DSC_4463.JPGDSC_4462_514.JPG

One of the problems with Stainless Props, is that they are pretty tough, and don't sacrifice themselves and the Rest of the Drivetrain gets the Shock Treatment. Propshaft got bent and had to be replaced
img582a.jpgDSC_3814a.jpg

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
The new prop is a solas. Most affordable replacement at the local shop. The old prop is an OMC prop. No venting on the old prop. The solas is definitely a heavier made prop. Much thicker blades. So far as the contour, rake ,cup I'm not sure on those terms in reference to a prop
So that means you only matched dia and pitch....so it is not exactly the same prop as before !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
It definitely isn't the engine. It was running great that last time out. That didn't up and change after a prop.
Wish I had a nickle for everyone that has said that...I would be rich !! What does your tach read with the old and the new props ?? Have you adjusted the trim ??

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
Wish I had a nickle for everyone that has said that...I would be rich !! What does your tach read with the old and the new props ?? Have you adjusted the trim ??
Wouldn't be getting a nickel off me haha This engine performs great. Always has. Putting the old prop back on brought the performance right back so I know it's prop related.
Boat doesn't have a tach. But I can tell you the difference in rpm is considerably different when launching. With the new prop it would bog hard on launch and slowly drags it's way up to plane. With the old prop it doesn't bog out and picks up rpm pretty quick. Comes out of the hole in probably 1/3 the time it takes the new prop. If not faster. And I have tilt/trim and performance out of the new prop didn't change out of the hole regardless of trim.

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
So that means you only matched dia and pitch....so it is not exactly the same prop as before !!
To be fair. Not a prop guy haha. I took the word of the marine dealer. told me the solas would be just like the factory prop I was replacing. Same performance. An "OEM replacement" as he put it.

tpenfield

Staff member
To be fair. Not a prop guy haha.

Yes, but think about what you have learned in the process. (y)

I'm not much of a prop aficionado either, but . . .

What tends to matter . . .

Diameter
Pitch
Rake
Cupping

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes, but think about what you have learned in the process. (y)

I'm not much of a prop aficionado either, but . . .

What tends to matter . . .

Diameter
Pitch
Rake
Cupping
To complicate it more, add
Progressive Pitch vs. Constant Pitch
Exhaust Venting, as in Hubbed vs. Nonhubbed

airshot

Rear Admiral
To be fair. Not a prop guy haha. I took the word of the marine dealer. told me the solas would be just like the factory prop I was replacing. Same performance. An "OEM replacement" as he put it.
Needed to make a sale, hopefully you can return it !! This is why using a prop shop is better, more costly yes, but often well worth it.

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
Needed to make a sale, hopefully you can return it !! This is why using a prop shop is better, more costly yes, but often well worth it.
Yep I was able to return it. Though I got stuck with a restock fee. But is what it is.