Replaced Bravo Steering Swivel Shafts

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had to do the full transom service since the boat was new to me and bellows were showing cracks and aging. Swivel shafts were rusty and one side had evidence of water leaking into the boat.

I did not want to cut into the transom housing nor did I have the means to remove the engines.

When googling I found one random site that indicated this coild be tackled without cutting or engine removal.

Only special tool I needed was a thin format 1-1/16 plumbers wrench.

The flexible hose clamp driver was also a life saver.

other basic tools was a short cheater bar on the thin format wrench and standard sockets with swivel ext, and a mirror to get a sense of where to put the wrench while laying on top of the engines.

I purchased the stainless swivel shafts from Nuwave along with new seals, bushings, washers, nuts, ect in a kit.

I also drilled and tapped a 1/4 x 28 hole for a stainless grease fitting to make sure the new seals and bushings last.

You can see from the old shaft the bottom bushings were toast but the uppers still had good grease on them.

I dont have a lot of pictures, it was a lot of cussing, regrouping, patience, and help from a few various friends when re-Installing, but I got it done!

Attachments

• photo293771.jpg
    photo293771.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo293772.jpg
    photo293772.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo293773.jpg
    photo293773.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo293774.jpg
    photo293774.jpg