Replaced alternator, battery still not charging

Re: Replaced alternator, battery still not charging

Nice!! Glad to see you back in the water!!! and you fixed it!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replaced alternator, battery still not charging

Got back to it this morning. I took all of the wires off of the corroded terminal and cleaned everything thoroughly. In the process, the red cable (battery +) broke free from its connection in the same manner that the orange one had already done. Completely corroded.

I put new connections on both the battery cable and the orange wire and hooked everything back up. I turned on my chart plotter and it read the battery at 11.6 volts with the motor not running. When I started the motor, this number jumped to 13.7!! Success! :clap2:

When i revved up to 1500 rpm the volts rose to 14.1. When I shut the motor back off (after running it for less than a minute) the battery was reading 11.8, which tells me it charged!

My only concern is that when I initially turned the boat on, I had the chart plotter (Humminbird 597 HD DI) running. When I turned the key to crank the motor, the screen went white and did not go back. I had to unplug it to turn it off. After I plugged it back in and turned it on it ran fine.

It has never done this before, and this is the first time I had it running during engine start up with a properly working alternator. Should this be a concern? Any ideas as to what could have caused this? I have a fuse inline with the wiring on the unit.

Anyway, the alternator works and I'm ready for an awesome vacation up in the Sierras. Thanks for the help everybody!

Ayuh,... That was just yer electronics protectin' itself from low voltage at the start up,...

I doubt it would do that on a fully charged battery,...