Replace Teleflex or go hydrolic?

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I need some input on weather to replace my Teleflex helm and cable with a new one or go to a hydrolic system like Seastar or Hydrodrive?

I have a 1996 Campion Victoria 215, 21.5' Fiberglass Hardtop with a mercruiser 4.3 LX (700hrs) and Alpha 1 Gen 2 I/O with the Teleflex power assisted steering set up.

I have about a quarter turn of play at the helm so I'm wanting to correct this during the winter. My biggest complaint with the current system other than the play is the fact that I loose the power assist when I'm using the kicker for trolling as the main engine is shut down. A problem alleviated with the hydrolic systems. I'd also like a 2nd helm out back which is easy to do with the hydrolic systems.

Anyone with any thoughts or input on a conversion? I'm sure it's been done but I'm having a hard time finding info on my specific needs?

Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you don’t need hydraulics for autopilot I would save a ton of money, and problems going forward, and just replace the cable.

A friend has a second station on a 23’, 9-6” beam on a bracketed outboard powered boat. Hardly ever uses it and it takes up valuable cockpit space while fishing.

Can’t see a need for a second station on a 21’ I/O with an already cramped cockpit.

kenny nunez

Captain
Google Panther Marine Troll master. They make remote control steering, throttle and shift wireless controls for all popular small outboards.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you are fighting low speed bow wander, nothing you can do. All v-hull boats with single motors suffer from v-hull wander

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you don’t need hydraulics for autopilot I would save a ton of money, and problems going forward, and just replace the cable.

A friend has a second station on a 23’, 9-6” beam on a bracketed outboard powered boat. Hardly ever uses it and it takes up valuable cockpit space while fishing.

Can’t see a need for a second station on a 21’ I/O with an already cramped cockpit.

No I don't have an autopilot. What makes me want a second helm is that where I fish (for Salmon) I'm usually tacking against the rocks in amongst 15 other boats and I can't be away from the helm for more than a few seconds, and to get there I have to pass through the door and down a few steps to make corrections. Very inconvenient.20210629_100523.jpg

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after much research and thought, I am going to just replace the manual setup with another one at this time. Cost is the underlying factor here.

I currently have the rotary style tilt helm (with power assist) but I'm not sure what to replace it with exactly. It has a label on the back of the helm that says "310742" and "M6835". Does it need to be of the non-feedback type? Is the tilt mechanism a separate item to the helm or do I have to replace it too? I also can't see any numbers on the cable itself.

Any thoughts?
20190306_151003.jpg20190705_133425.jpg20190704_150215.jpg20210328_172745.jpg20210907_162735.jpg

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I found out a few things today.

#1 - I found the info off of the cable which is this: Morse 304411-204IN 6335
#2 - I found out where the play in the helm is coming from. The tilt u-joint (?) was really loose! The 2 yokes were separating and rubbing up against the frame of the column causing the clicking noise and notchiness and the center bushing (?) was degrading. I'm going to pull it and clean it up and see if I can make some adjustments. Attached is a video of the issue.

View attachment My Movie.mp4