Replace inner transom plate

willy nilly

Cadet
Hi
ive broken the steering bracket on the transom plate!
I realise I need to remove the engine (4.3 gsi). Obviously the transom plate holds the out drive to the transom.
can I do this without removing the outdrive and just holding it in place once the bolts are put back in? Or do I just remove the leg via the 6 bolts?
im assuming the engine will just unbolt from the hull side and pull out?
many thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The drive needs to come off, to get the motor out,....

willy nilly

Cadet
Hi Bondo
do I have to take the whole unit off, or just the part held with the 6 bolts?Is this to pull the shaft out or to get to the pipes etc. Presumably the outer transom plate can stay and with bolts accessed from the inside?
cheers

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... You need to pull just the outdrive, as it's shaft goes into the motor's coupler, not the transom assembly,......
After the drive is pulled, the motor is unbolted, 'n lifted straight up, 'n out,.....
The y-pipe has to come out,....
At that point, you can swap out the inner transom plate,.....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You will probably just have to separate the drive leg from the outer transom plate, leaving it in place as long as the outer seal is still good. Pull the drive, then the engine, then you can replace the inner transom plate.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the GSI came with a few drives

however, pull the whole drive, set on the bench/tail gate/drive dolly

then disconnect the motor fuel/exhaust/electrical/plumbing

lift motor out of boat and set on stand

now service your transom shield as needed.

now is a good time to also to clean and inspect the bilge and address anything that needs attention