FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have an older motor that needs to be replaced, it's got a 20" shaft. Have found a good used motor that is 25" shaft, can this be used and what are the risks? I assume that it may sit lower than the pontoons, slight angle issue? Thanks
Mmmm. Lots of horses.... In the early 80's, I had a 24 footer with a 140 and it would outrun everything on the lake.
I still don't think you'll have a problem. If you were happy with the old setup, I would try to raise the new motor close to the 5 inch difference and then lower it if you get any ventilation.
The only disadvantages of going too low are a little more parasitic drag and an increased chance of hitting underwater obstructions.