Repairing Bimini tops..

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi guys,, <br /><br />My Bimini cover is looking abit worse for wear and i'd like to clean it up abit...<br /><br />Any Tips??<br /><br />I plan to get a new one later on down the track.. not because it needs one, but because I have designed the one I want and I'm gonna have it made up for me.. <br />But until then, I was hoping to resurrect this one for awhile..<br /><br />Some Questions..<br /><br />1. What is the best thread to use for the stiching repairs from a longevety UV point of view?<br />2. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to its original whiteness? it has faded abit. (This material has a white PVC coating on the outside.)<br /><br />I have already washed it down with Sugarsoap and was toying with the idea of wiping it down with a mild bleach solution... good idea???<br /><br />Any tips would be great...<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Repairing Bimini tops..

I use my wife's Clorox With Bleach cleaner [in the spray bottle] on my white Bimini top and it does a pretty good job on removing dirt and mildew. It hasn't shown any sign of hurting the top over several years. It takes some scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush to work because it is a weak solution. After it dries good, I use a vinyl protectant on it. My top is eleven years old and still looks pretty good.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I restitched part of my Bimini I used 8# Iron Thread fishing line in my Brother sewing machine.<br /><br />For patches, I used iron-on canvas patches, then stitched around the edges.<br /><br />Held up so far.

JAZZedBW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend us. we are Firelands Canvas located in Sandusky, Ohio. We do everything.<br /><br />JAZZ ;)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Looked up the specs on the best boat cover I have ever owned and they use a polyester thread. Also, the vinyl protectant I use [Armorall] has a UV inhibitor, according to the label. Hope this helps. We appreciate our friends in Australia during these trying times.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK guys, <br /><br />Thanks for the tips...<br /><br />I went and used Sugarsoap first.. scrubbed it in good and hard.. worked great.. cleaned it right up. However it still had a slightly yellowish hue to it,, so I made up a water/bleach mixture and brushed it on for a minute or so.. <br /><br />BAD idea, it disolved the stiching and parts of it fell apart.<br /><br />I spend the next 3 hours with my Girlfriend stiching it back together.<br /><br />It turns out these Binimi tops are not really Canvas at all, but a thin material with a layer of PVC on the top... and normal canvas treatments etc are of no use to it.. <br /><br />Anyway, I got it stiched back together now.. looking alot cleaner (the bleach did work in that regard)<br />So I will put some waterproofing treatment on the stiching.. and hope that holds me out till I get my new one made up.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the tips.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank<br /><br />PS... Condolences to the yanks for the Columbia disaster.

flashback

Captain

I used fishing line to sew up some seams, and then painted it with white vinyl paint used for auto seats etc.. works good

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frank, I am offended, you didn't contact me about it. <br /><br />If you look at mine (or let me know what yours looks like), I can send a new one Down Under for free.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr Val, <br /><br />Firstly, I wouldn't dream of imposing on you like that.. I have the dash, I LOVE the dash,, and that is enough. :)<br /><br />Besides, you are not even using the cart I setup for you anymore.. (The new one looks great though.)<br /><br />The main reason I don't want to get a new one, is because I have a new design I want to get made, its better for fishing :) here is a sketch from memory of my boat, with the new top I want to get made drawn in with pencil... I have since had an idea to make the top shorter, and have an extendable piece on the back that can slide in and out to make more shade when needed.. (I take kids fishing alot.) What do you think? good idea?<br /><br />
sketch.jpg
<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frank,<br /><br />I wouldn't had any problem, and no disturb I like your work.<br /><br />Unfortunately my tops won't work, they are all for walk through windshield, I see from your drawing it is very different.<br /><br />I used to have rolls of sumbrella canvas material, but I am all sold out, so I cannot help that way neither.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats cool, I have plenty of work to do before I worry about the bimini..<br /><br />I had attacked my cabin with an angle grinder and made it so the new windows wrap around the whole cabin, (instead of the old hatch style windows.)<br />I added the hatch in the middle as well.. it wasn't there before.<br />Then I went to a clients (a glass window/door manufacturer) and made up all new windows, put the last one in yesterday.. looks great.<br /><br />Now I have to redo all the original wiring, put in the new dash.. install the new steering box and cable and put the outboard in... lottsa stuff to do before I get the new top.. the old one just has to hang on long enough to keep my shaded while working. (35 degrees C on a normal day here.)<br /><br />After all that is done, I am going to paint the whole boat with 2pak... <br /><br />but I will be fishing on it as soon as the motor/electrics/steering is working again.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank<br /><br />PS, thankyou anyway for the offer, most kind.