repair questions

scothorn

Seaman Apprentice
Posted this under topics and questions also, wasn't sure where exactly to post.
I'm looking at and thinking possibly about buying this boat, its a 1996 Pro Craft 180 combo. It is in relatively good shape motor tested good, a few scratches here and there but for the most good. Except there is a hole at the front down about 2 feet below the bow about the size of the tip of your pinkie finger. I'm not sure how deep it is, but it has been plugged with what appears to be marine silicone. You can look at the boat here:

http://www.us.buysell.com/root/detai...0_Mercury.aspx

You can see what I'm talking about in the pic if you look hard, or right click on the pic and save it and open it up in Windows pic and fax viewer to make the pic bigger and scroll down to see the hole I am referring to.
My questions are
1. Is this an easy repair to fix. If so something I can do myself, or needs to be professionally done?
2. Any consequences from damage of this type?
3. Does the price on the boat seem to be "fair"?
4. And also does anyone know the original motor size these boats had on them? This one has a 150 Merc EFI . When I look up the boat here on I Boats it shows it with a 175. Thanks for answering anything you can.
Scott

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: repair questions

Hello there,

Your link does not work. Regarding a hole, it is easy to fix, especially if you can access it from the inside, which is how I would prefer to fix it. The question is how much damage did that leak or hole do. If it is through the hull, how much water did it let in, is the foam saturated?? If it is, then you need to remove the waterlogged foam. Are you sure it is a hole, not just a ding in the gelcoat that the owner covered with silicone? Take a look from the inside if you can, and see if the hole is through the hull. You may just be faced with a gelcoat repair, which is very easy to do.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have the present owner repair that correctly if you buy it and make that clear.

I would also ask the current owner what that is.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can't get your head in there for a good look, try sticking your digital camera in there and snap some pictures.. Pull the camera out and see what you've got, you can always delete the junk photos..

scothorn

Seaman Apprentice

Went today and took another look at it, it looks to be a chip on the ridge that runs the length of the boat to stabilize the boat in turns, what ever that's called. Anyway, the boat is at a Marine sales place, of course the salesman is "blowing it off" like it's nothing. But it doesn't appear to be deep. It's only about 2 inches off of the keel.
One more question, the boat has quite a few scratches down the side, more surface than anything else, not into the gel coat. What is a good way to get those out? Buffing?
Thanks for the responses.
Scott