Repair or replace the exhaust baffle for ‘84 suzuki DT30

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I recently bought this motor and didn’t notice the small, but forceful leak at the bottom of the exhaust cover. Disassembly revealed 3 stripped bolt holes, the exhaust baffle cracked into 3 pieces and a large dent in the block-side gasket surface (wear the leak was happening). I’ve fixed the stripped holes and gasket surface damage but am struggling with the baffle. I tried using an aluminum brazing rod (w propane) last night with no luck other than to deform one of the pieces slightly. The baffle is discontinued and I haven’t found a used one yet. I wondered if there any other suggestions ? If I could find a good tig welder I guess I could be an optionI but I’m concerned about flatness and ability to seal when reinstalled. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy a used one off eBay or see a real welder

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Have been watching eBay for a month now. Missed one by a day but no others listed. Will start looking for a good welder but without a recommendation in this area, it’s hard to separate the good from bad before they have a go at your part. You’ve mentioned radiator shops before but the ones around here just replace with new. I’ll ask around at a few shops.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think I would make a new part.----Stainless plate with some guides welded on for exhaust flow.

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Wish I had those kind of fab tools / skills. Yes, 20, 25, 30hp all use the same plate. Have been searching under all three. Good question on the years. So far, 83-85 seem to be the same.