repair kicker motor mount holes in aluminum

bbalcer

Seaman
I'm not sure this has been covered, I couldn't find it with a search. I wanted to put a kicker motor mount on the back of my 18' Smoker. The previous owner had a mount (i'm guessing by the 4 bolts sticking out of the transom) but has removed the business end and left the bolts. I doubt I'll find the matching mount and before I put a new one on I'd like to fix the holes that are there now. I'd like to fill em, smooth em, paint em, and forget em. What are options? I have a welder capable of welding aluminum as well as an oxy-acetelyne torch to melt aluminum rods. Thanks in advance for any ideas.<br />BB

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: repair kicker motor mount holes in aluminum

Three options come to my mind:<br /><br />Are you sure the old holes won't fit a new bracket? A lot of these things have standard bolt pattern. I'd check that out first - unless you want to change the position of the bracket or do away with it.<br /><br />A good welder should be able to plug the holes and if needed, grind them and buff them to nearly invisible - invisible if painted. If the new bracket is going to cover the old holes, I'd not spend a lot of time, money or effort making it look pretty.<br /><br />You could weld or otherwise attach a nicely shaped and fitted aluminum plate over all 4 old holes (on inside, outside or both) and then attach the new bracket through the plate(s). It could even "look" OEM if done well, and might actually be functional in the sense of strengthening the bolt attachments (like a big washer, ya know?)<br /><br />Just brainstorming here, based on stuff I've done or had done in the past.