Repair Bent Skeg ?

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I usually store my boat with the outboard tilted down. I never liked the idea of water possibly sitting in the lower unit. While I was at work my wife decided to hook the mini van to my boat and move it so she could mow the lawn. She didnt tilt the motor up and my yard looks like it has been plowed and is ready to be planted in potatoes.:mad:

The problem is not my yard but the skeg on 90hrs johnson is now slightly bent. Overall performance seems not to have been effected the only time I notice it is when I am trailering my boat. It seems like the boat wants to turn instead of going straight. It may be my imagination but just knowing the skeg is bent is aggravating me.

Is there a way to fix the skeg without cutting and welding? :confused:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repair Bent Skeg ?

The skeg can be straightened, could you post a pic to determine how badly bent it is? Im sure the boat pulling while trailering is in your mind, it is funny how the human mind does that sometimes. My question is though how badly damaged is your wife now :) (kidding)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have straightened mine several times.
You will want to use 2 heavy hammers or at least a hammer and something heavy as a "backer".
Put the backer on the side the skeg needs to move just above where it is bent so only the bent part moves.
This part is cast so TAP it don't hit it as it will crack, you want to work it back slowly.
Also if you put several layers of duct tape on it it will keep it from messing up the paint.
Take your time and you should be alright.

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Believe it or not I didnt say much to her after all she was mowing the yard for me. I am sure she saw me walking around in circles cursing for a few minutes so I think she got the idea.

I cant post a picture right now because I am at work. I dont know if our system here will allow me to post or not. I cant get internet where I live here in the everglades so I cant post from home. I will get some pictures this weekend and try to get them posted.

The skeg isnt bent bad and not bent in one place. It is a gradual bend starting where the skeg connects and continues to the tip.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Then as said not a big deal to straighten. Just take your time and do it in gradual increments with a C Clamp if anything. Slowly forming it is ideal,along with light taps form a small oz hammer, but MANY have broken theirs attempting this. Be aware that heating the skeg, also heats everything inside the lower unit including seals. Seals are rubber and will not like the heat. The skeg is also cast aluminum and "hammering" on it is not recommended. If you do some "on water" tests and things appear normal, leave it alone. The skeg is there primarily to kick up the motor should you strike something. If it were twisted, it could affect handling but a bend to one side or the other is not an issue.

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advise guys.
It is not bad so I think I will leave it alone. I am already putting in new stringers and transom so I dont want more problems.:eek: