Repainting boat while still on trailer

and2ram

Seaman
I have an 18' aluminum IO and I want to remove paint from the waterline down while painting over the existing surface above the waterline. Many Lunds and Alumacrafts are painted this way now and I think it's a nice durable look. The problem I am trying to work through is how to remobe the bottom paint while the boat is on the trailer. If I'm using aircraft stripper I certainly don't want to damage my trailer or the rollers. Taking it off is not a practical option, It's an 1800lb boat and there is no way for me to do it, safely, or without damage to the lower unit. Would covering the trailer and ground in plastic be enough to protect it from damage due to the paint stripper? Also, how would you create a barrier between the paint you want off and the paint you want to keep...if the stripper is powerful enough to melt off tape I'm assuming it will also do a number on tape, no?

Thanks everyone!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Repainting boat while still on trailer

I have an 18' aluminum IO and I want to remove paint from the waterline down while painting over the existing surface above the waterline. Many Lunds and Alumacrafts are painted this way now and I think it's a nice durable look. The problem I am trying to work through is how to remobe the bottom paint while the boat is on the trailer. If I'm using aircraft stripper I certainly don't want to damage my trailer or the rollers. Taking it off is not a practical option, It's an 1800lb boat and there is no way for me to do it, safely, or without damage to the lower unit. Would covering the trailer and ground in plastic be enough to protect it from damage due to the paint stripper? Also, how would you create a barrier between the paint you want off and the paint you want to keep...if the stripper is powerful enough to melt off tape I'm assuming it will also do a number on tape, no?

Thanks everyone!

Ayuh,.... Unless the paint is literally fallin' off,.. Ya oughta just sand, prime, 'n paint it...

Strippin' an aluminum hull to bare metal, creates Way more work than is necessary...